• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Problem

ak_ef9

NAXJA Forum User
I am having problems with my 96. Its an automatic. When I put it in od it stays in od. I put it in 3rd and it stays in 3rd even at a dead stop. It doesnt shift by itself or anything. When I put it in first it only stays in 1st instead of shifting to 2nd. Any ideas on what to check? Thanks

when you put it in first it is supposed to stay in first id doesn't shift to 2nd. Its not supposed to thats why it is there. The only gear that your tranny will shift in is drive. To shift it to 2nd you have to put the shifter into 2nd.

Sounds like a blown fuse to the TCU (electronic Transmission Control Unit).

On the older jeeps the TCU and fuse is just under the passenger side lower dash cover. I think the TCU was still there in 96. It is a small galvanized steel box with a bulkhead wiring harness conection. The fuse is an inline fuse (unless they moved it to PDC box under the hood by 96?), about 12 inches from the TCU box.

The AW4 auto transmission only shifts into 2nd in the 1-2 possition at or above about 4500 rpm! Or if you are doing about 35- 40 MPH (don't quote me on that number) and you drop into 1-2 from 3rd, it will go into 2nd instead of first.

Sounds like the AW4 is OK, and just needs the TCU power restored, or maybe the TCU is disconnected? Several good therads here, just search for "transmission control unit" in advanced search for more details.

Back