• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bullbar build up

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
ok got some work done on the bullbar today
i really need a 15amp plug though, can only tac weld at the moment.
bar folded and put on the car
IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

mounting points incorperating the steering box bolts
IMG_5997.jpg

with the winch in to check spacing
IMG_5998.jpg

side view of winch in bar
IMG_5999.jpg

top hoop tac welded into place
IMG_6000.jpg

might finish it off next saturday then powder coat it the following week.

here is a cad view of how it should look when finished, ( some cut outs removed though)
optiond-2.jpg

Ummm...wow.
That thing is HUGE!

To each his own though, I'll give you this, at least your making it!

Nice fab work sofar!! It is a little on the big side for me though. Keep the pics coming! :cheers:

agreed, really clean fab work. but, respectfully, i not what i would want in terms of approach angle.

It's a bullbar, guys...not a rock crawling bumper. ;)

Looking good, Dave! That LF 170 is looking a bit tired. :) Will the bar be body color or something different?

build looking good

x2 on the LF 170, not sure how long you have had it, but the housing cracked on mine and I received a new complete set as replacement.

correct guys it's a bullbar and not a rock crawling bumper. This is designed for all the trees and roos that manage to jump infront of me at night

also it has to stick out far as the warn highmount 8274 is a huge mutha of a winch. almost twice as wide as the slowmounts most people use.

I was going to cut into the grill and set the winch back but the wife (it's her daily driver) put her vito down on that. so it sits out the front.

It wont look to bad once i put the lift in.

the LF 170's have been with me a few years now. they are still going strong and throw out plenty of light.

Bar will be powder coated black

Yes beautiful work. What is the thickness of the metal?

ok you guys talked me into it

redesign,

i've put it up on cad, and it now sits 2" closer to the car. winch sits 1" inside grille so i'll need to do a cut out ( wife agreed to that)
and the whole thing sits 2" higher up

now all i have to do is laser cut again and hassle the guys on the brake press to fold it for me

LOL, the fab work looks great, and when you get the side pieces on to bring it to gether, and hopefully a taper to the rear, I think it will look fine, and esp. after the lift, it needs big tires for that big winch...How did you cut the steel plate? plasma cutter?

Just a quick question. Not knocking anybody but:

What is is with huge front bumpers in Australia? Seems like most of the rigs over there have these giant sheet metal/plate monstrosities compared to the tube bumpers that seem to pile up here in the states.

Do kangaroos jump out by the hundreds at night or something?

PS: looks like nice fab work. :thumbup:

tbburg said:
Just a quick question. Not knocking anybody but:

What is is with huge front bumpers in Australia? Seems like most of the rigs over there have these giant sheet metal/plate monstrosities compared to the tube bumpers that seem to pile up here in the states.

Do kangaroos jump out by the hundreds at night or something?

PS: looks like nice fab work. :thumbup:

its for hittin the dingos when you had one too many a foster..?

Really I wondered the same thing.

i get everything laser cut (the lazy way i know)

hitting a roo is like hitting a deer standing upright. It can seriouly ruin your day when you're miles from anywhere. I've hit 4 in the last 10 years. each time saved bya bull bar. Also it's quite muddy and heaps of hills and trees here. Small tube bumpers that you guys run over there wouldnt protect the front very much from sliding into trees at funny angles.

horses for courses really

Kind of surprising what one of those tube jobs can take. I've bounced a CJ off a lot of trees using a 1 3/4" tube.

'Nailed a couple White-tails myself (We call it using your "night-special" hunting license) 'Suppose if I had to choose, I'd put as much steel between the hood and the deer/roo as I could carry. Standing upright doesn't matter. They're tall enough on all fours that they go over the hood better then half the time, and sometimes end up in your lap.

The deer here are 150-200lb (about 70-90kg) How big do the kangaroo get?

easly 150 -170 lbs,big sharp teeth on them, there middle toe on there hind legs can get 4 inchs long ,did you know that the smaller ones called wallabys,you can actually skin alive and let them go it will regrow twice as thick as it was before.kind of like prunning a shrub.

Back