• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch isolation solenoid question

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a warn multi mount wiring kit with an isolation solenoid and the directions says to splice into a switched hot wire. I guess this will be the power source to enable the solenoid when i hit the in cab switch. Can anyone tell me were there is a quick and easy switched hot to tie into?

If you are going to install the relay, then you should install your own master control switch inside so that you can turn on and off the winch power at will. If you don't want to install your own switch, I would leave the relay out and just run install the female power plug up front and wire it directly to the battery.

Durango-Bob said:
If you are going to install the relay, then you should install your own master control switch inside so that you can turn on and off the winch power at will. If you don't want to install your own switch, I would leave the relay out and just run install the female power plug up front and wire it directly to the battery.

Yeah, that's what the kit consists of. ;) Here's part of it, just what you're describing.

QuickConnect.jpg

Ignition switch is a switched hot. :) Mine is set up this way with a winch control on the dash. I *think* it was purple with white stripe...like the one you find in the cigar lighter. If you don't use yours you might look at just putting the switch in that panel. :)

Question about the kit shown above and I guess switching solenoids in general... If you hook up that solenoid per the instructions, do you have to flip the in-cab switch to use the hand held remote? In other words, does it totally disable the winch, or just the in cab controls?

If that solenoid is intended to completely cut off the main power supply to the winch, it sure appears to be a bit undersized for the 350A load that my winch requires at full pull.

Back