• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC and Radio Shut Off.

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
While i was driving today for a brief few seconds my radio and AC shut off. Within a matter of seconds it all came back on and everything was ok. I havnt noticed any other problems, i just was wondering if their is anything i should check or look for.
THanks
Pete

Next time it happens giggle the ignition key a little and see if they come back on. Mine does that sometimes. when you turn the key to on everything works, When you turn it all the way to start, and then release it after the motor is running it will sometimes do what you are describing. It is probably a warn out ignition switch but it hasn't failed yet so i haven't replaced it.

Either the ignition switch or fuse holder clips going bad. Been there done it too many times.
Don't wait to fix it or you might end up replacing wires and connectors as well as the bad parts.

I think you guys may have hit the problem right on.
Yesterday it took me a while to get the key to turn correctly to start the car. It took a bit of pressure and some jiggling but i was able to get it to turn. I am guessing this is related, to the ignition switch ?

Thanks,
Pete

The switch is like 10 dollars, (its a common GM part) and you will need to remove the lower dash, and the switch is about 1:00 position on the lower part of the steering column, remove the bolts, (the headlight dimmer will come off with it) unplug the 2 harnesses on the old switch, plug them into the new switch, and replace it all.

This is usually a problem to those who turn the engine on and off with accessories working. Leaving the radio and blower motor on is most common, especially the blower, as it draws a lot of power. Much more than the little contacts in the switch were designed to take. After you get the old switch out, pull it apart and take a look, and a sniff. Turn everything off before you turn the key!

I was able to get the switch in today and it seems that things are ok for the most part except my shift interlock isn't working anymore.
With the key in the on position i can shift through all the gears without pushing the brake pedal ? Before i had to push the brake before i shifted out of park ?

What can be causing this ?

pete

I finally figured it out.

I didn't know the interlock was an electrical based system and thefore tested it with the battery disconnected. I finally realized it was a solenoid and thefore needed electricitt, connected the battery and I was in business.

Thx folks.
Pete

Back