• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year windshield?

Bugboy

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the forum and didnt find anything but was wondering if anyone might know what years XJ had the same front windshield as my 90? I need to pick one up but thought i might be able to get a part out locally instead of paying the $200 for a new one. I know the body styles changed slightly but wasnt sure on the window.

thanks

Sean

I was in the auto glass business for 10 years and this is what I remember: all XJ windshields are the same size and will interchange. 1984-1994ish uses part # DW952GBN and has metal mouldings that are held on by plastic clips. 1994ish-2001 uses part # DW1140GBN and has a rubber moulding that resembles a gasket but it is just a moulding and is still glued in. This moulding is cut off and usually replaced when the w/s is replaced. The differences on the newer w/s are that it is solar(lets less u/v rays in) and it has a fatter mirror bracket but you can get an adapter at a glass shop. If you find one from a newer XJ, have them cut the moulding off and throw it away, you don't need it. You only need the glass as yours has the metal/reuseable mouldings. Hope this helps.

Have any of you installed a windshield in a jeep? i have done many other cars but never one like this. Not sure exactly what to order for the gasket rubber. Do asny of you know of a link of a diy install?

My '91 has the metal trim (it's aluminum not chrome, btw), and it's scarred up pretty bad. I was going to get some replacement pieces from the junkyard but they all look like trash too. Is it feasible to use the rubber grommet? I'd almost prefer that actually.

There is no gasket, older rigs use a butyl tape kit, the newer ones use urethane, you can use either one. The urethane is much better but messier & harder to use & clean up. You will need to use the urethane if you want to use the black molding.

ALL XJ windshields are "glued" in. They never made them with a rubber gasket like they did on the CJs. Since it was never an option, it would be impossible to do as there is not a gasket made for it. That being said, w/s replacement is not something that can usually be done correctly by someone without experience. Consider this: an average price for a w/s from a junk yard is $75.00, that is for a used w/s with NO warranty. To install it right you need to buy 2 tubes of urethane from a glass shop for $5-6 each. Then if you break it whlie transporting or installing, you're out $75.00, and maybe your jeep is sitting there for a day or two while you try to locate another one and hope that they don't break it getting it out and hoping that you don't break this one too. Let's say that you get it in ok but it leaks (highly probable for a novice) on your stereo, cb, or other expensive equipment. That's up to you to find and remedy. Now you could take your used w/s to a shop and they will install it for around $50-$60 but will offer no warrany as it is used and if they break it putting it in....you're screwed. Now consider the benefits of buying a new one: if you call around a bit you can most likely get a new one for $150.00-$200.00 range. Call all the shops in your area as prices can vary widely and shops tend to be competitve, if you mention a price from someone else they will usually try to beat it. Ask about their warranty. Any reputable shop has a lifetime warranty against leaks and manufacturers defects, some even offer free lifetime chip repair. Now if they screw something up during the install, it''s their problem.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, it's just that sometimes what seems to be a cheaper way, doesn't always turn out that way. When I had my shop there were multiple time that someone would bring in a used w/s and by the time all was said and done they had only saved $30-$40 over buying a new one.

Good luck!

I called around here and the best i could find was $400 of course that was several months ago so i guess i could try again. But that seemed a bit much. i used to run a body shop and have installed many windows that had the rubber gasket around them. I have never done a jeep, so wanted to see how hard it would be. thanks for the info.

Sean

im still in the autoglass business, im in van nuys ca. 400 bucks those guys are making a killing off of you! We pay about 40 bucks for the windshield and about 4 bucks for a tube of urathane. I got a 1990 xj with metal moldings and I am going to order up a windshield for the newer style with the rubber molding, looks much better. The metal moldings are just held in by clips. We usally charge 189.90 for the whole job after tax and all. For you to cut out a windshield from the wrecking yard you would have to wire it out, and they usally are pitted up junk

I just put a new windshield in my '91. $130 installed from a hole in the wall shop. Admittedly this is in Oklahoma not PA, but I'm sure you can do better than $400.

Just got to watch out for some of those guys who whore them out for 100 bucks, cheaper is not always better. After they take it out if there is any bare metal that they dont primer, water will sit there and it WILL rust out over time causing much more problems in the future.

Back