• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these leafs shot??

ogilviexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, still new at this stuff, but my drive seems to be a bit rough, looked around my jeep, and the leafs look terrible (i think)

Just need a bit of confirmation, and a good link on how to replace these.

Thanks
IMG00164.jpg

IMG00163.jpg

IMG00161.jpg

IMG00162.jpg

yes

Yes X2. Those are totally sagged out and doing nothing for your ride quality.

From the looks of it, you're gonna have a fun time replacing those - rusty bolts/nuts. It's not uncommon for the bolts running through the spring bushings to have rusted (fused) to the metal sleeves inside the bushings. Generally this means you won't be able to get the bolt out and you'll need to use a 4.5" or larger carbide cutting wheel to cut the bolts.

Do yourself a HUGE favor right now and get some PB Blaster and spray those bolts/nuts several times over a week's period before you do the swap. The front bolts on those front spring bushings inside the "boxed" bracket are the worst. There's a couple of holes in the unibody frame rail you can use to spray the threaded end of the bolt/nut inside the frame rail. Soak the axle u-bolts holding the axle to the leafs, and the two bolts/nuts for the rear shackles. Spray all around the bushings too. Soak, soak, soak!

........And good luck!

Yes, rusted spring bolts and anything else thats attached to our cars are a constant up here. With all the Salt and Sand we use on the roads in the winter, its a surprise some cars are still able to stay together.

If/when you go to replace these springs, I would say not to get used ones, and don't re-arch these ones. Either of those options are just temp fixes. Look into stock replacements if you want stock height, or full leaf packs if you want to lift a bit. Or put together a bastard pack using as new a main leaf as you can find, and making sure the next leaf under it is nearly as long or just as long as the main leaf so you don't get that negative arch in it like yours is right now.

well, if thats the case, perhaps I should just get a whole kit.
Anyone got one to ship cheep? I live in Calgary Alberta. Would be looking to spend about 3-400 on leafs/shocks/springs/etc.

Any suggestions? Looking for about 3 inches.

Thanks

If your leafs are shot, you don't want to just throw in an add-a-leaf. Basically all that means is that the one new leaf is up the rest of the suspension and it is usually only a temporary fix since the new leaf will wear out quickly. It looks like you need to replace them with new leaf packs, such as these that I found with a quick search on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-5-...13QQitemZ230274908307QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWa

Do it the right way the first time.

Back