• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to weld frame reinforcement

hairyharry155

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I am planning on reinforcing the frame rails with some heavy 3x3 angle iron. I was just wondering what you all have done to weld them in there. I planned on seam welding the edges 2-3" every 2-3" or so along with 6-8" spaced 1/2" rosette welds. Ive been searching through the forums the last few days and most of what I see has them secured with just rosette welds. I was just wondering, what is the most correct way of doing it? Thanks.

hairyharry155 said:
This weekend I am planning on reinforcing the frame rails with some heavy 3x3 angle iron. I was just wondering what you all have done to weld them in there. I planned on seam welding the edges 2-3" every 2-3" or so along with 6-8" spaced 1/2" rosette welds. Ive been searching through the forums the last few days and most of what I see has them secured with just rosette welds. I was just wondering, what is the most correct way of doing it? Thanks.

I was under the impression that it was kosher to run 1/8 or 3/16 thick frame stiffners... I plan to use some 2.5" and 3"x 3/16 ftat bar to strengthen my frame and some angle to help tie in my re drop brackets.

from what I can tell from the pics I have seen is that you do about 1" holes offset one to the top a little than do one closer to the bottom and so on about 6-8" apart down the frame then everyone seems to weld the outsides all the way down. I might just weld the bottom seam every so often because an overhead weld with 16 ga to 3/16 stiffner might be a little tricky. good luck post pics.

hairyharry155 said:

i posted and didnt read your post...you know what to do

hairyharry155 said:

Your plan looks pretty good. I don't know what you mean by heavy, it doesn't need to be too thinck to get the job done. Weight hurts you, and it adds up as you keep on modding. Plenty of rosette welds, both high and low, and stitch welded around the edge and you're very good.

I just meant its pretty thick, 3/16's I think. I plan on tieing in sliders and hopefully a cage to the frame sometime soon. Thanks for the responses, I'll def take some pics

To each his own, but don't overdue the welding. Most people do. A few stitch welds at the corners and a few rosette welds (hole in bracket that you weld inside circumference to frame of heep) and you should be fine.

The last thing you want to do is start stressing the frame (I'm being generous with that statement) by overheating it and develope cracks.

use 3x4 angle. I think that's what i used.... but mine's 3/8" thick on the outside and i added some 1/4" on the inside.

Well I didn't get a whole lot done today. Spent time with my buddy at the junkyard to help him get some stuff but I did get one section done, how does it look?

DSC00988.jpg

Oh, its 3.5X4" too btw.

Looks pretty good just needs to be cleaned up and painted. Did you weld the bottom side as well or just the side shown?

originalxj said:
To each his own, but don't overdue the welding. Most people do. A few stitch welds at the corners and a few rosette welds (hole in bracket that you weld inside circumference to frame of heep) and you should be fine.

The last thing you want to do is start stressing the frame (I'm being generous with that statement) by overheating it and develope cracks.

then I guess mine are going to fail?

stp81866ib1.jpg

stp81870.jpg

XJ_ranger said:

Yes...yes they are.

:conceited

Maybe they will or maybe they won't. But you have to admit, waaaaayy over done. I've got to ask you, how long did that take you? In order to weld that much on something as thin as an XJ "Frame" it would take hours in order to avoid overheating the metal. My guess is within time you will develope stress cracks that will be hidden inside the frame or under the reinforcing metal and you won't even know it.

An even more important question, why so many welds?

Cool, thanks for the link, good information.

Looks pretty good just needs to be cleaned up and painted. Did you weld the bottom side as well or just the side shown?

I didn't fully weld it yet, ran outta time, and I hate welding above me. I'll get it done today.

originalxj said:

Basically pretty good advice, most people do overdue the welding. The edge of the weld itself can be a weak point especially on that thin galvinized steel. I hate welding to that stuff......

XJ_ranger said:

stp81866ib1.jpg

stp81870.jpg

Opie, yours are not overdone, why the wise guy?

Opie likes to jump right into the poo with a giant stirstick, whenever possible.......Nice rosette pattern though.

originalxj said:

Maybe they will or maybe they won't. But you have to admit, waaaaayy over done. I've got to ask you, how long did that take you? In order to weld that much on something as thin as an XJ "Frame" it would take hours in order to avoid overheating the metal. My guess is within time you will develope stress cracks that will be hidden inside the frame or under the reinforcing metal and you won't even know it.

An even more important question, why so many welds?

One reason is that the new plates are pretty thin. I liked your comment, but don't over do it. Neither you nor anyone else knows for a certainty what is enough or too much weld. I don't think there is a better designed nor installed frame plating out there than the one's XJRanger has on his rig.

It's pretty hard to "overheat" that thin a metal over that much distance and area, when talking about the existing XJ frame. I think the point has been made, don't weld too much, it's not necessary and can be detrimental. But arguing about exactly what is too much is pointless.

Back