• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Hood Vents!

TL-Iguana

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched post after post, about hood vents, and Ive found not a whole lot of variety... I really dont mind the lebaron vents, but there just not right for my XJ. I dont mind the marine deck vents either but again, there too open for my liking. I was walkking through home depot here today and i came across some soffit vents... There a lot like the marine deck plates, but they have grating in them as well so as to keep out the leaves and gunk when I find myself parked under a tree. There made of ABS plastic and of course come in white, but with a rattle can of plastic paint, and a few hours of patience, I think they turned out not so bad! I have some pics here too for you guys to check out, because when it comes down to it, theres not much else on NAXJA to see when it comes to pics of different vent ideas!!!

I just hope that there up to your guys high standards :) Im really impressed with how they look all said and done... I admit I was pretty skeptical at first, but as they say, Jeeps are meant to be built, not bought! :D

DSC_3653.jpg

DSC_3660.jpg

DSC_3661.jpg

DSC_3668.jpg

DSC_3685.jpg

DSC_3686.jpg

Personally, round vents on a very square Jeep dont match so well.
Also hope it holds up to the UV exposure and dont sag with the heat as have seen both happen with cheap plastics not designed for this job.

There on there to tide me over until I can get the ones that I really want from raceace.com :( But until then they will have to make do :) I didnt think of th UV exposure... thats a good point.. Oh well At least the replacements when they come will be bigger than these ones, so a simple re cut will be all thats needed to fit them in!

Gojeep said:
Personally, round vents on a very square Jeep dont match so well.
Also hope it holds up to the UV exposure and dont sag with the heat as have seen both happen with cheap plastics not designed for this job.

X2 :twak:

Very different, the round shape. If you like it, then what the heck. I have black ABS vents on my hood, positioned about like yours (slightly further aft) and they have sagged/warped just a little after a few times wheeling in 90 degree heat, but nothing too bad. Mine are marine vents. They were cheap ($12 each) so if they get too "melty" I'll just buy another pair. It sure helps with underhood temps, regardless of which vents you go with. A lot of guys just shim the back edge of the hood up an inch or so with flat washers to allow some airflow, but I think vents look cool.

I sure hope you primed/painted the holes and edges of that raw metal...

I Really dont like the round vents at all. If you like them great, just not for me ;)

I wonder how those would hold up in a day in some real sun/engine heat.

iwannadie said:
I Really dont like the round vents at all. If you like them great, just not for me ;)

I wonder how those would hold up in a day in some real sun/engine heat.

Mine have been through a couple such days, and they warped very slightly.

I think they match well enough. If anything doesn't match it's round lights, because the XJ already has all square ones. Round vents seem more like... round tires. It would be different if they were oval or something.

Do vents actually do anything though? Isn't the engine compartment already completely open on the bottom? Is it bad to have rain dripping through your hood?

I did prime / paint the bare metal yes :D Not gonna let my baby succumb to cancerous rust! As for water getting in there, Its not so bad. OEM engine parts are designed to
get wet, so no harm will come of that. Heat also rises, and with the angle of the hood, it tends to want to rise up and collect at the firewall. This is why the vents are positioned where they are. Hopefully they wont warp too bad, but being outdoor rated ABS im hoping that they will hold up for now. As I said, its a temporary solution until I can spend some more money on the vents I really want. I just have spent a bit more than I can afford right now on my lift and tires :D (PRIORITIES!!!)

Thanks for the feedback though, Its very much valued. Just had to post pics as I said because there is not enough pictures of everyone elses installs it seems :)

DOH!!! :doh:

Yeah thats what im thinking... im going by what the guy told me at the hardware store :/ I can fix my jeep but when it comes to plumbing am a noob... Is one better or worse than the other? Not that Im going to use them again :/

Just an update for you all, the vents havent sagged, or warped at all since they were installed. Been driven for almost 7000km since then, and they look as good as new. I can sit at a light now in town and see the heat waves pouring out of them! The jeep temp has remained on average no higher than 100 celsius. Im actually kinda liking the fact that theyre round too. I see a lot of square ones out here, and at least mines different :)

Do vents actually do anything though? Isn't the engine compartment already completely open on the bottom? Is it bad to have rain dripping through your hood?

Heat rises ;)

I know it's an old post I'm quoting, but hey. the question never got answered... I'm here to (try to) help :wave:

to the OP...Glad to hear they're working well for you. Personally I kind of like the round vents, it's different...

i found a pair of Nissan something (a little 80s street car) hood vents that look sweet on my XJ. i'm gonna install them (hopefully) this weekend. pulled them from a junk yard for $5

rain can become an issue, of course. things like the cps, iac and fuel injectors are right there, something can go out if doused enough, most dont find it too bothersome, ive had fuel injectors go out.

you could allways use non-xj factory style vents that utilize a drip pan, or park your rig inside... or just deal w/ it... it helps your diagnosis skills.

it doesnt matter what others think if you like em and it functions

friends have installed the lebaron vents, and they look good, but its a little cliche to me, . im more into composites myself, and sinse my jeep currently runs cool, i'll wait for time to build a nice FG hood w/ integrated vents.

Back