• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joint problem

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced quite a few U joints and they generally turn out pretty good.
Once in a while they end up tight. I try hitting them, pushing them back and forth, no matter what they stay tight, hard to turn.
I use a "C" press and I also tried the socket and hammer method.
Any ideas welcome.

Try tapping the ears with a hammer. That'll often loosen them up a bit.

falcon556 said:
I have replaced quite a few U joints and they generally turn out pretty good.
Once in a while they end up tight. I try hitting them, pushing them back and forth, no matter what they stay tight, hard to turn.
I use a "C" press and I also tried the socket and hammer method.
Any ideas welcome.
If not centered they get tight, or could yoke ears be bent?
You don't have to hit very hard, just a little tap,tap,tappy to find the sweet spot.
Or maybe one of the needle bearings fell out of place and is between the cap and the end of the trunnion.

Thanks guys, I tried tapping etc.
I think when I push the old ujoint out, it bends the ears due to the friction.
I may have to use a spacer to keep them from squeezing i.
I can turn the ujoint by hand, I think it should be looser.

its very hard to get the clips in if a needle bearing is out of place. If you got the clips in with out much fuss, I'd just run it. It'll work loose. or this will happen

brokemyshit.jpg

razdrvr said:
its very hard to get the clips in if a needle bearing is out of place. If you got the clips in with out much fuss, I'd just run it. It'll work loose. or this will happen

When there is a needle in the cup, the clips won't fit.
Just to be on the safe side I pushed the cups out, checked them and reinstalled. It is nice and loose till I push it the extra thousand or two that I need to get the clips in. The moment I do, it gets tight. I guess the ears are bent a bit.

Believe me, it is possible. Ask me how I know.

razdrvr said:
Believe me, it is possible. Ask me how I know.
BIG X2
My first time doing u-joints I took axles to Big-hO and $20 for them to R & R joint and one 30ton press later severely bent yoke ears on a stub shaft after that I took my stuff back and I told him I'll take my chances with a hammer with the rest.

That just happend to me on a front one, I just took a wide fine toothed file shave the dirt and rust off till I got a shiny surface and then the clips just fit and the joint moved free. Use caution, just the dirt and rust.

Back