• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Seanlee08

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for 800$ it runs grate and i LOVE this Jeep. The only problem i have is when i turn on the A/C it blows good and cold but it only comes out of the front defrost and a little at my feet. I was wondering if Anyone can help me at all i love this jeep too much to get annoyed over somthign that can be so small:bawl: pleas help thanks very much :wave1:

welcome!! go look behind your front bumper (I know, it sounds like a stupid place to look) for a plastic football shaped vacuum canister. It holds the vacuum that opperates your HVAC controls. Inspect the lines to and from it for a break. You'll probably find that under the battery one of them has corroded and therefore not supplying vacuum for the controls to opperate (the default is defrost for safety reasons). Fix the line and see how she works then.

The vacuum canister and the miriad of vacuum lines leaking vacuum are usualy the cause for the ac problem you're describing. My 99 would start to blow from the defrost when the engine was under load climbing a hill, etc. I tracked all my lines and all were fine. Finally came down to the canister itself. I couldn't find a replacement right away so I pluged the line with a bolt. Worked fine since then so I quit messing with it.

housemaster0630 said:
i have the same problem in my 99

the football shaped thing you are talking about is completely missing

when i replace this do you thing it will fix the problem right away?

replace the canister (fairly cheap at a salvage yard) and follow vacuum diagram in FSM to ensure correct routing of hoses. Chances are, it will work afterwards. If not, you could still have a bad diaphragm under the dash (the thing that actually moves the door that directs the air) but that's less likely-- especially since you're missing the canister!

Back