• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using 3-in-1 oil in Krawler joints

kst8engineer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a Rock Krawler 3-link, and I noticed that instead of installing grease zerks in the Krawler joints, they're shipping them with a bolt threaded in where the zerk would be. (I've read all about the zerks being cheap, so this probably isn't a bad thing).

Anyway, I called Rock Krawler and asked about this, and their recommendation is to take the bolt out, put some 3-in-1 household oil (or WD-40) in the joint, then reinstall the bolt. They said guys have been having better luck doing this than greasing the joint. (I've read the articles about how to disassemble the joint to grease it, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better option).

Have any of you guys tried the household oil / WD-40 route rather than grease? If so, how did it work?

Advance auto sells zerk fittings. most of my greasable joints have the zerks removed anyway, when I grease stuff i pull the little bolts out and put the zerks in.

it would be a pain in the @$$ to take it apart every time you need it greased. i'd drill/ tap a fitting then pull the fulling and use a bolt so it doesnt break off.

I haven't looked very closely yet at the bolt to verify, but the guy I talked to at Rock Krawler said the threads were 1/4"-20, so it sounds like they've increased the thread size from the factory. Getting a decent zerk should be easy if that's the route I decide to take.

Mosephus said:
On sort of the same subject..... Has anyone used a diffrent joint other than the Krawler Joints in the RK Arms?

I've read where people have replaced their krawler joints with 2.5" rh thread johnny joints with 1" shank.

000_0044.jpg

these are the same except 1 1/4 shank.

I talked with the guys at the Rk tent at the Pa Jeeps show and they told me just to use wd40 or similar. Havent tried it but it must work if they are telling customers to use it. I was also thinking about replacing the krawler joints with something else. Not diggin them for some reason.

here is a currie jhonny joint next to the rk joint

flex_0065.jpg

it's a direct replacement for the rk joint (with 1" thread 14tpi)

ive been running rock krawler joints in my arms for a couple years now and ive don'e absolutely nothing to them, i greased them once when i got them and the zerks broke off and havent done anything to them since, still as tight as the day i got them

I wouldn't use WD-40--it's NOT a lubricant--at least not anymore so than water.
WD stands for Water Displacement, and the "40" stands for "formula #40". It was developed to "displace water", not lubricate; it took 40 attempts to settle on what is currently called "WD 40":confused1 . It evaporates quickly, leaving the joint dry.
Personally, for suspension joint lubrication, I vote for disassembly and packing with a water resistant grease--like boat trailer wheel bearing grease.

When I had the kit I would pull them apart and pack marine grade grease in them... then reassemble..

As for greasing through the zerk, well it's so tight I could never get a decent amount of grease into it..

I also would not use WD40.. maybe sone dry teflon spray wax (chain wax).. Or just pull them apart and grease them..

IF I upgraded it wouldn't be to JJ's... It's about time someone released a 1" shank Rod end w/ Kevlar liners...
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XM-16-1-10-CrMo-rod-end-w-kevlar-liner_p_84-1579.html

OR just run the Krawler Joints.. they're plenty strong enough and very cheaply/easiliy rebuildable...

Back