• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does 1" really make a difference?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered some goodyear mtr's 2 weeks ago and still no tires. I ordered 35" tires for 15" wheels. I am now being told that due to a military contract goodyear just got, the tires could be days, weeks or months out. I am thinking that this is not a good thing and have decided to look for other tires. I really think the new km2's look cool but the don't come in a 15" yet. so my question is for a 35" tire what is the optimal rim size...15", or would 16" be cool too. I need to buy wheels anyway so its not a big deal either way. also I notice a difference in load rating between 15" and 16" sizes. thanks

Dude, didn't we go through this two weeks ago? :confused:

16" rims will work just fine. You will not notice a difference. And you get a higher load rating.

My coworker was saying you get more lateral stability. Don't know how much difference you'll notice with such a big tire anyway, but that's one positive

Ask your wife if 1" makes a difference. :D

MONSTERxbla said:
I actually expected that to be the first reply:roll:

i looked at this when it had no replies and couldn't think of anything witty. i do approve though. his wife did say my 1" more made a difference.

....back to tech haha.... i've also heard that a bigger rim makes it more stable on the road. i know 20" rims on 37+" tires are desireable.

MONSTERxbla said:
I actually expected that to be the first reply:roll:

Sorry, I'm slipping. I let that one get by me through the five hole.

I'm not real sure about any particular contract they just recieved, but every Humvee has 37x12.5 Goodyear Wranglers on it. So, I'm sure they are ready to meet the demand. You will hardly(if at all) notice a difference with the different wheels.

16" tires have a stronger sidewall (usually) and are a bit narrower - and cost more.

To hell with KM2's, unless you want to carry air tools and two spares. In the california deserts, MT/R's are worth the wait.

cal said:
16" tires have a stronger sidewall (usually) and are a bit narrower - and cost more.

To hell with KM2's, unless you want to carry air tools and two spares. In the california deserts, MT/R's are worth the wait.

Are people tearing up KM2 sidewalls in your neck of the woods? I thought BFG worked that out awhile back and their sidewalls were tougher now. And X2 on the MTRs, I like mine a lot.

razdrvr said:
Ask your wife if 1" makes a difference. :D

:gee: :roflmao:

cal said:

MTR's are a good tire BUT I have to diagree with CAL on this one!! BFG is a great tire!!

If you can just wait for the 35x12.50 15 KM2's, they should be released on Sept 1st, I called BFG today to see if the next release included 15 inch wheels and they confirmed that they will.. Part Number 44299.

If you cant wait, I would go to a 17" wheel as more and more this is becomeing the standard and will provide better future options.

Crabapple said:
I'm not real sure about any particular contract they just recieved, but every Humvee has 37x12.5 Goodyear Wranglers on it. So, I'm sure they are ready to meet the demand. You will hardly(if at all) notice a difference with the different wheels.

The government has recently signed a contract to use the new BFG Mud Terrain KM/2 on all Humvees.

From JP magazine Oct. '07 -

"* BFGoodrich nabbed the military-tire contract for the HUMVEE from Goodyear. BFG is now building a special 37-inch Mud Terrain km2 specifically for the military to fit the 16.5-inch-diameter Hummer wheels. They should be on the Hummers as you read this. About 5,000 units have already shipped."

cal said:

How many MT/r's have you cut?
How about your roomate?

I dono - maybe the new BFG's are worth a try? <-- seriously...

XJ_ranger said:
How many MT/r's have you cut?
How about your roomate?

I went 2.5 years without cutting a single one, then cut 7 in a season, ground the rock rash off of the lip on my wheels and havent cut another since.

However, when I was on BFG's and thought Big Bear was hard wheeling, I went through 9 BFG's in a year.

Back