• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

models?

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
ok i searched on here and on the web but i cant find a good all inclusive list or models.
like when the first cherokee came out what options it had. As far as options i mean what models came with a 4cyl or a 6cyl. if there were auto or 5 spd. when they were fuel injected 2wd and 4wd 2 door and 4door. etc etc.

i will try to make it my self if i have to but i wanted a year by year what was available

ok so far i know 84 was when it all began.
there is a chief, sport, and loredo options if not more.
2.5l inline 4cyl, a gm 2.7 v-6,a 4.0l inline 6cyl and 2.1l inline 4cyl diesel turbo were the engines.
t-4 t-5 ax-4 ax-5 nv3500 and aw4 are the transmission
np207 np231 np242 were the transfer cases.
d30 d35 d44 and 8.25 were the axels.
but when and what model is my question

Are you looking for "options" or "trim levels?" And if "options," which - specifically?

It sounds as though you're looking for powertrain options, so here's a partial. Everyone else feel free to add to (or correct!) this as needed...

1984-1985 XJ
- AMC 2.46L/150ci four-cylinder
- GM 2.8L/173ci V6
- Renault 2.1/126ci turbocharged Diesel four-cylinder

I believe the gasoline engines had the option of either a BW T5 manual or a Chrysler 904 auto, I don't know what the Diesel had behind it. The Dana 35 rear was highly common, with the D44 a rare option. The fronts were all Dana 30.

1986 XJ/MJ
As 1984-1985XJ. First year for the MJ/Comanche pickup

1987-1990 XJ/MJ
- AMC 2.46L/150ci four-cylinder (RENIX)
- AMC 4.0L/242ci inline six-cylinder (RENIX) (front clip redesigned to accommodate longer engine. GM V6 last used for MY1986.)
- Renault 2.1L/126ci turbocharged Diesel four-cylinder (to mid-1988. Ended with ChryCo involvement.)

The 150ci four got either the AX-4 (four-speed) or AX-5 (five-speed) automatic, while the 242ci got the Peugeot BA-10/5 until mid-1989, then got the AisinWarner AX-15. The AW4 four-speed automatic became common. The Dana 44 rear axle became even rarer, and stopped being offered as an option with the Chrysler takeover of AMC production in mid-1988. Fronts were still Dana 30, and non-44 rears were Dana 35. Some C-clip versions of the 35 started to appear.

1991-1995 XJ, 1991-1992 MJ
- AMC 2.46L/150ci four-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-I)
- AMC 4.0L/242ci inline six-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-I)
- No domestic Diesel option
- VM Motori 2.5L turbocharged Diesel used in Europe and overseas markets.

AX-4/AX-5/AX-15/AW4 use behind gasoline engines continued. Some "fleet model" XJs (usually listed as "X1") got the 32RH/32RE three-speed gearbox - I don't know why. This was rarely taken as an option, apparently. Dana 30 still used up front, Dana 44 non-existent. Rear could be Dana 35 or ChryCo 8.25 - could go either way (although ABS guarantees the presence of a D35 - the 8.25" was never used in an ABS application.) 8.25" axles were "early" 27-spline units, I don't think that started to change until 1999 or so (can someone confirm or correct?) Later axles were 29-spline. D35s could be C-clip or not C-clip (both are "semi-floating" axles,) while I'm inclined to believe that all 8.25" axles were C-clip units. Aftermarket gear selection limited to 4.56:1 for the 8.25", at last recall.

1996 XJ
- AMC 2.46L/150ci four-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-II)
- AMC 4.0L/242ci inline six-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-II)
- VM Motori 2.5L turbochraged Diesel used in Europe and overseas.

AX-4/AX-5/AX-15/AW4 continued, with AX-4 being supplanted by AX-5 (if it hasn't been by this time.) "Police option" appeared as well - using the 242ci, AW4, speedo calibrated to something like 130-140mph, and having an "extended idle" switch (to ramp up the idle when sitting for long times, to increase alternator output to run lights/radio/whatever.) Last year of "old" body style - starting in 1997, the XJ had a bit more "finished" look with the edges rounded off slightly. Taillamps and headlamp bezels/front running lamps were also changed for 1997, but the 6054-style headlamp was still used through 2001.

1997-2001XJ
As for 1996, but with "newer" body style.

Production ended with MY2001, and production of the 242ci I6 ceased with MY2007 WJ and TJ. The AMC 150ci engine was also found in Dakota pickups until sometime around 2002, when it was replaced by the DaimlerChrysler 2.4L/148ci four-cylinder. The AMC242 was the last AMC engine in production, lasting some nineteen years longer than the company (the two before that were the AMC 2.46L/150ci until 2002, and the AMC 360ci V8 in the SJ until 1991-1992.) The 8.25" changed over to slightly larger 29-spline shafts sometime around 1998-1999 (?), but still retained the critical flaw - a C-clip retainer design.

Trim levels didn't have much to do with options, other than being an option itself. For instance, the early "Laredo" trim level featured chrome bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and trim - but could come with either an auto or a stick (I have an 88 Laredo with a stick, and had an 89 Laredo with an auto.) Limiteds were "power everything," but I've heard reports from the field of Laredos sometimes having "power everything" as well (making the only real difference between a PE Laredo and a Limited the leather seats and body-coloured trim on the Limited.)

Known trim packages were Base, Chief (AMC-era), Pioneer (AMC-era, I think), Laredo (early), Limited, Sport (later), and Classic (later). This usually governed things like seat material, steering wheels, trim colours, and the like - with little effect on powertrain (except for the Limited coming - almost invariably - with the 4.0L and AW4.)

Someone said that there was something about my 97 country that stood out from other year/models. Cant remember what it was, maybe 97 was the last year it was listed as the Country or something.

It was just something small not really important but now Im wondering what it was lol.

iwannadie said:
Someone said that there was something about my 97 country that stood out from other year/models. Cant remember what it was, maybe 97 was the last year it was listed as the Country or something.

It was just something small not really important but now Im wondering what it was lol.

I think that it was that they renamed the "Country" to "Classic" after that year....?

Oh, OP, you forgot the NP-229. Fixed rear yoke from the factory too.....found that odd in my first XJ ('84)

I've heard rumors that the 29 spline 8.25 started in mid 96 or at least 97. 2000-2001 models use a low-pinion D30 up front, the rest get a high pinion D30

that answers most of my questionsbut a couple i guess i can assume. but when did they go to fuel injection was in 91 when you listed OBD1.

also did the 2 door version also come with all the powertrain options

May 96 was when they went to the 29-spline 8.25". Of course you know with Jeep there could've been bleed-over(use whatever was available to throw in there).

jeepnleo said:
that answers most of my questionsbut a couple i guess i can assume. but when did they go to fuel injection was in 91 when you listed OBD1.

4.0L was injected in 87 (first year available.) I don't know for sure on the 2.5L. The 2.8 V6 was carbed all the time.

I'm pretty sure you could get the two door with all of the same power train options as four doors. I've need heard otherwise.

jeepnleo said:

The AMC242 has always been fuel injected, using a "Port Injection" setup (individual fuel injectors for each cylinder.) The AMC150 was carburetted for the first two years, TBI for a year after that (I think,) then PFI as well.

Diesels? Always fuel injected - always have been.

I believe the 2-door came with all the options, but I don't think it was available in "Limited" trim.

I'd also forgotten - the NV3550 replaced the AX-15 in the 2000 and 2001 models (behind the AMC242,) and yes, some of the early XJs had NP229 transfer cases with fixed yokes. I think there were a couple of other transfer cases used as well (NP207?) but I don't recall offhand. There are probably some other oddities that I just don't recall at the moment - or that I don't have notes on (an example would be some of the rigs for the South American market that came - from the factory! - with D44 fore and aft and a winch. Also, the "hidden winch" option comes to mind...)

5-90 said:
I believe the 2-door came with all the options, but I don't think it was available in "Limited" trim.

Although very rare, the Limited was available as a 2 door in 87-90. My cousin's buddy bought one new in 88.

Last edited:
5-90 said:
1991-1995 XJ, 1991-1992 MJ
- AMC 2.46L/150ci four-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-I)
- AMC 4.0L/242ci inline six-cylinder (ChryCo OBD-I)
- VM Motori 2.5L turbocharged Diesel used in Europe and overseas markets.

AX-4/AX-5/AX-15/AW4 use behind gasoline engines continued. Some "fleet model" XJs (usually listed as "X1") got the 32RH/32RE three-speed gearbox - I don't know why. This was rarely taken as an option, apparently. Dana 30 still used up front, Dana 44 non-existent. Rear could be Dana 35 or ChryCo 8.25 - could go either way (although ABS guarantees the presence of a D35 - the 8.25" was never used in an ABS application.) 8.25" axles were "early" 27-spline units, I don't think that started to change until 1999 or so (can someone confirm or correct?) Later axles were 29-spline. D35s could be C-clip or not C-clip (both are "semi-floating" axles,) while I'm inclined to believe that all 8.25" axles were C-clip units. Aftermarket gear selection limited to 4.56:1 for the 8.25", at last recall.

Not entirely true. The D44 was non-existent in the XJ. But it could be had in an MJ all the way to 92.

xjohnnyc said:
Not entirely true. The D44 was non-existent in the XJ. But it could be had in an MJ all the way to 92.

Excuse me!!!

My 87 XJ came with the D44 rear end from the factory. So you are much mistaken. They were available (from 1887-1989 or 90) with the HD Tow package and on most government fleet rigs.

Mine happens to have the Trac-loc option as well....

Read the quote idiots! :rolleyes:

We all know that a D44 was available in 87-89 XJs.

5-90 was talking about the D44 being non-existent in the 91-95 XJ and the 91-92 MJ.

Reading is FUNdamental.

xjohnnyc said:
Read the quote idiots!

We all know that a D44 was available in 87-89 XJs.

5-90 was talking about the D44 being non-existent in the 91-95 XJ and the 91-92 MJ.

Reading is FUNdamental.

Reminds me - the AMC Model 20 was also found as the rear axle on some 1986-1987 MJ with "Metric Tonne" package...

AMC = All Makes Compatible. The RENIX 4.0L uses a Ford distributor, for instance (and mostly GM sensors.)

Next thread about models better have chicks in it.

Back