• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best d30 locker?

Oh boy, you just opened a huge can of worms!

Israel said:
30 spline spool, or weld it if your on a budget.
you would really spool the front axle?

tomcat said:

He might... many people do. For me, I would NEVER spool (or weld) my front end. But then again, I probably wouldn't ever put anything besides another selectable locker in the front either...

-jm

I run a Loc-rite in my D30. While in 2wd it's completely invisible. You can't even tell it's there until it's in 4wd. IMO, that's the way to go.
Unless, of course, you can afford a selectable...

The guy that suggested welding the front - I hope you're kidding.

tomcat said:
:D

I ran a detroit in the front of my XJ and loved it. Steering on high traction surfaces such as Moab's slickrock really wasn't that tough for the most part. The only time I wished I had something different was when it snowed and the roads had patches of snow on them. In 4wd it would steer just fine on the snow patches, but was a bitch to steer when I hit the plowed streets. In 2wd, I didn't even know it was there.

That being said, when I build or buy my front axle, it will have a selectable locker simply to avoid stress on the shafts and gears when not necessary. The majority of my trips off-road are forest service type roads and Moab slick rock where I would'nt need a front locker most of the time.

If you have coin to spend, get a selectable. The ARB is very highly rated, I have one in the CJ and I love it. Absolutely zero issues, works great, on and off easily and quickly. I put an Ox in the front of the XJ, it's taking some time and a few adjustments to get the bugs out. I don't hate it, but I'd go ARB if I could do it again.

For an automatic, Detroit. Full-case locker, virtually indestructable, proven to work well for a long time. On a budget, Aussies seem to be the latest rage. I had both Detroit E-Z and Lock Rites years ago in the CJ, the Lock Rites were the better of the two. Less unlocking aond more durable.

Ill post b4 anyone starts bashing ARBs

I have ARBs front and rear, and have no problems. I also know many people that have had them for around 10 yrs with no problem.......and will not give any problems if they install them correctly.

Last edited:
What about those with a 242 t-case and need a limeted slip up front for full time driving, and don't have enough dolla bills for a selectable.

Anybody got some comparisons on the auburn lsd vs. the detroit tru-trac in a turdy. Ones a clutch and ones gear driven i know, but the auburn lsd carrier assembly is around 250 on ebay vs. almost twice that for the detroit.

I tried searching for a good 20 minutes and came up with squat on what people had to say about the auburn lsd in a 30. Everybody's experience came from it being in the back.

Last edited:
Mike1331 said:
What about those with a 242 t-case and need a limeted slip up front for full time driving, and don't have enough dolla bills for a selectable.

Anybody got some comparisons on the auburn lsd vs. the detroit tru-trac in a turdy. Ones a clutch and ones gear driven i know, but the auburn lsd carrier assembly is around 250 on ebay vs. almost twice that for the detroit.

I tried searching for a good 20 minutes and came up with squat on what people had to say about the auburn lsd in a 30. Everybody's experience came from it being in the back.

What kind of terrain do you wheel? If you're looking for extra traction in snowy or muddy areas then the auburn might be fine. If you're wanting to hit the rocks, the auburn would hardly be worth the trouble and the tru-trac would only help some. There is no substitute for for a real locker (or spool) in the rocks.

Just my opinion.

Israel said:
Pay-up. It's the button titled "paid subscriptions", freeloader-son. :D

Asshat. :rolleyes:

Mike, we're having a meet and greet in a week, in Natomas, come on out and see if you even want to join up.

How attached are you to fulltime 4wd with your 242? Do you use it often?

My only advice to you would be, use a selectable locker. Don't waste your money on anything else for the front.

The rear is a totally different story

Get an Aussie, it works great, it's relatively inexpensive, and in the front you will not notice it in 2wd. Personally I think a selectable front locker is a waste of money. But obviously there are people here who disagree. :D

Back