• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim trail?

stevenstorbakken

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know approx. how long from LA to the trail? Where the last available gas station (shaver lake) is on the way, how late they are open? Going up next week and I want to make sure I can fill up before I hit the trail Thursday moring...thanks

stevenstorbakken said:
Does anyone know approx. how long from LA to the trail? Where the last available gas station (shaver lake) is on the way, how late they are open? Going up next week and I want to make sure I can fill up before I hit the trail Thursday moring...thanks

The trailhead is about 1.5 hr from Fresno. There is a Texaco station at the top of the long steep four lane section of the road up there, a few miles before Shaver Lake, and it closes at 10 PM. The most reliable source for gas is in Prather, about 1/2 hr out of Fresno, a few miles before the start of the long hill, and they're open till 11 PM. You can easily make it from Prather, through the Dusy, and back to Prather on a tank of gas. We've filled up in Clovis and made it.

thanks eveyone, I feel alot better knowing where I can get gas...and the distance. I will let you know how it went when I get back.

I just got home from running the trail. We hit it friday morning at 8 am and finished at 3pm today. We stayed at Ershim lake for 2 days to relax. All the jeeps had enough gas after topping off in Shaver.

Thompson hill was problems for a few other groups, but we all were "vetrans" and didnt have one hang up or problem on the trail.

Snow?! We were in tshirts and shorts! There are supposed to be storms this week... so maybe next weekend.

Heard of snow storms in Sept. Hope I can climb like you guys!!! I have done Rubicon successfully so I am feeling fairly confident.
I have 1995 jeep cheroke, 33", locked front and rear, terralow, 5 inch lift, believe in prayer!!! I think I am ready. More worried about my friends full sized scout, I always figure I can go anywhere he does!

stevenstorbakken said:
Heard of snow storms in Sept. Hope I can climb like you guys!!! I have done Rubicon successfully so I am feeling fairly confident.
I have 1995 jeep cheroke, 33", locked front and rear, terralow, 5 inch lift, believe in prayer!!! I think I am ready. More worried about my friends full sized scout, I always figure I can go anywhere he does!
Your friend with the Scout shouldn't have any problems, I've pulled my trailer with my early Bronco, through there, with no problems, especially since some Hummer clowns have "clearanced" the trail in a couple of tight spots since then (I hate those things). The last couple of miles (at the upper end) of the trail are the toughest (most fun!). Mosquitos have always been the biggest problem so, depending on how much snow they had, they could be brutal! Have fun! Man, I wish I were going-----------Hans

Just got back, it was awesome!!! Me and my friends scout made it through with no breakdowns but lots of new rock rash!!! Thanks for the comments on gas and trail conditions, helped allot. Meet another XJ'er on the trail from Las Vegas, hope to hear from him soon. Will post pictures and video as soon.

Back