• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP !!! Need Info Before Buying An XJ

Dreamin4x4

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys You are Gonna Have to bear with me here.

Im Looking into Buying a '95 Cherokee with a V-6 4.0L with 167.000kms on it, they were asking 3000 can. Is that Over Priced?
and planning on making it A Kick ass 4x4 Beast of A Truck!

SO any Info Would be Fantastic for me Cause I know absolutely NOTHING ... YEt atleast,

So I heard that there was a bad year of Cherokees? or is this a myth,

Are they farely Easy to work on with minor Automotive experience?

Thnx guys
Im sure ill have more questions but that is all for now

engine is an inline six, what's the conversion rate these days? If it runs well drives well and is in good condition $3000 USD is fair. If anything is wrong, well you know the drill.

First thing to know is that a Cherokee 4.0 is not a V6, its a straight six. And it all depends whats wronf with it .Cjheck for a rear main leak, theyre notorious and if its the luxery model with power options, I would say thats a decent price.

jk333 said:
First thing to know is that a Cherokee 4.0 is not a V6, its a straight six. And it all depends whats wronf with it .Cjheck for a rear main leak, theyre notorious and if its the luxery model with power options, I would say thats a decent price.
Jjk333 Spell Check owns you.

To the OP: IMO $3000 USD is a little steep for a stock cherokee. I would expect to pay no more then $2500 USD for a well running stock XJ.

goodburbon said:
engine is an inline six, what's the conversion rate these days? If it runs well drives well and is in good condition $3000 USD is fair. If anything is wrong, well you know the drill.

its pretty much at par, 1$ canadian = 99.2c US.

check it real good for rust, this is vancouver the land of rain. check the floorboards and body real good. 167k is pretty low kms, the I6 is liable to last to 500k(mine is at 300k and strong right now). the only bad years for cherokees would be the pre 87 ones, they had the gm 2.8 v6 or the 2.5 4 banger, you either got a gutless xj riddled with problems, or just a gutless xj. apparently the 00-01 models have issues with the heads cracking. other than that if its got an I6 4.0 you should be good to go.

IMO, $3000 is reasonable as long as its in pretty good shape. but that being said, ive seen 99s go for $4500-5000. ive seen many 90-95s go for $1000-2000. vancouver has a lot of xjs that go through craigslist, if you can wait a bit youll be able to score a pretty killer deal.

One thing to know is that the XJ is a Uni-Body meaning the body is attached to the frame. So if you are planning to lift this to be a "beast" it can be a bit more expensive and time consuming compared to lifting a wrangler. Its not alot more expensive I guess it all depends on how high you want to lift, how big of tires you want to fit... etc. One great thing is that the 4.0 is a long running strong motor and can handle hundreds of thousands of hard miles and never miss a beat, same goes with the AW4 tranny.- Axles are a bit of a diferent story...There tuff for stock Jeeps and decent for minor lifting but for a serious modification you will eventually find a weak spot.- Good luck and we'll try to help you on the way- "keep on Jeepin on" -Josh

Back