• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control Malfunction

01din

NAXJA Forum User
The Cruise Control light will illuminate in the instrument cluster, but will not activate when I push the "set" button on the wheel. Since there is no fuse in the panel, what might the problem be and how can I fix or reset it?

David
'99 4.0

You may want to look for a vaccume leak. Is there any thing else not working right? Like your vent controls for the HV/AC. A vaccume leak is what was causing my cruise controll not to hold the selected speed.

My $.02

Every other system seems to be working fine, but Ill check the hoses through the firewall. And you mentioned the vacumn - as a part of what system?

the vac hose from your intake manifold.
it runs down to the battery area, and depending on year (I think) it will split into 2. one goes down to the bumper and attaches to a vac cannister behind the bumper itself.
after breaking my cannister I noticed the cruise would not engage properly, it would engage but not very well. it wouldn't pick up when I pressed accell, and up hills it would slow down quite a bit.
I have actually removed the cannister from the equation, where it splits to 2 hoses I took the one going to the vac can off and instead of the y splitter I just pluged one into the hose going to the manifold. so far it works just fine, I will track down another vac can and put it back in on the off chance it was serving a purpose tho.

so as previously said, check all the lines to make sure you don't have a leak. as silly as it sounds try pressing harder on the button too, my Cruise On button has to be puched hard and a few times for it to come on.

Back