• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local Muffler shop in the 951/909?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
I need a muffler shop that isn't going to charge me friggin $100 to install a cat and a glasspack :gag:

I've called a few places local, the cheapest is $80, which isn't horrible, still up there, until they found out I had a magnaflow high flow cat, and argued with me it wasn't legal to install.

All I need is a cat, a muffler, and a turn down, with a hanger. That's it! Ahhhhh this bites.

Hey Jimmy make sure your turn down is either behind or way up front of the axle. I learned the hard way it will cook your brake line and axle having the turn down infront of the axle.

IMG00105.jpg

This happened to my new brake line Scott put in for me fixed now.

cds36 said:
Hey Jimmy make sure your turn down is either behind or way up front of the axle. I learned the hard way it will cook your brake line and axle having the turn down infront of the axle.

IMG00105.jpg

This happened to my new brake line Scott put in for me fixed now.

Thats funny. Same thing happened to me after my lift!!! Ask Tony

Competition Muffler in Riverside. Steve is a cool dude and did my complete exhuast for me.

Speedway on Redlands Blvd,. same complex as Discount tire. Between Lowes and K-mart.

Thanks guys for the heads up, and yea like Andy said, I got it on.

The cat I got wasn't CARB OBDII legal... ugh. Anyway, got the muffler on with a dump and a hanger for $40, not bad I guess. I'll keep those shops in mind for future work if this guy doesn't end up working out for me. Thanks though!

crazyjim said:

The cat I got wasn't CARB OBDII legal... ugh. Anyway, got the muffler on with a dump and a hanger for $40, not bad I guess. I'll keep those shops in mind for future work if this guy doesn't end up working out for me. Thanks though!

I think the only legal replacement cat in cali is OEM. Few smog shops will notice an aftermarket non-CARB cat versus a legal dealer cat. They just peak to see that you have one. Its still a risk...but that dealer cat is over $300 if I remember correctly....

Jarels...Jarols...Gerols...not sure how you spell it...kick ass muff shop in Rivertucky.

I've had smogs done on numerous vehicles with non-CARB cats without ever having a problem.

desertracer said:
I think the only legal replacement cat in cali is OEM.
bull Fing sheet senor. ive got a universal cat on my XJ that i paid less than 100 bux for from NAPA and it passed like a new XJ. PM me if you need a cat i'll look you up some prices on CA legal stuff.

GrimmJeeper said:
bull Fing sheet senor. ive got a universal cat on my XJ that i paid less than 100 bux for from NAPA and it passed like a new XJ. PM me if you need a cat i'll look you up some prices on CA legal stuff.
I don't think he's saying the cat won't pass, we all know it will, but OBDII cats are different than OBDI cats, they have to have the bung welded INTO the cat, which is ironic, because my stock cat doesn't even have that haha. What he's saying is, if you can find an exhaust shop that will look past the whole not a carb legal cat thing, it'll still pass the sniffer.

I've got a magnaflow carsound high flow cat for it, just nobody to install it. Well, until now :D

the second o2 sensor goes AFTER the cat not IN the cat. napa sells a fed emissions cat and a CARB cat. the o2 sensor has nothing to do with it. federal emissions cats will not pass CA smog on the sniffer. they dont meet the catalyst requirements for nazifornia.

crazyjim said:

How different is the new cat from the old? I know one guy had them look and fail him for having an aftermarket cat. If you still have the old cat, pull the heat shield and somehow get that installed on the new cat if possilble. With the jeep up in the air, there's a better chance they'll look closer at the cat next smog.

GrimmJeeper said:

ODBII is a different world. The 96 and newer guys have to run carb approved or OEM cats. Ron Adkins was bit by this one, and I've had coworkers bit by it on their newer 96-00 cars. I hate CARB. I figure if the cat goes on anything I have that's ODBII, I'll weld the heatshield on a generic replacement. :) Yours and mine are old enough that we can toss a universal on there and be done.
I'll bet your parts book shows a significant jump in price or not available in CA for 96+...

markw said:
ODBII is a different world. The 96 and newer guys have to run carb approved or OEM cats. Ron Adkins was bit by this one, and I've had coworkers bit by it on their newer 96-00 cars. I hate CARB. I figure if the cat goes on anything I have that's ODBII, I'll weld the heatshield on a generic replacement. :) Yours and mine are old enough that we can toss a universal on there and be done.
I'll bet your parts book shows a significant jump in price or not available in CA for 96+...
I know magnaflow doesn't even MAKE one for '98+ they have one listed for 96-97.

markw said:
ODBII is a different world. Ron Adkins was bit by this one...

Yes, I was. :)
There is OBDII 49 state and OBDII California legal. Everyone sells 49 state models, but they will fail visual if the smog-nazi gets really picky. You can get lucky and find a shop to install it, even though it is illegal for them to do so. Most shops won't run that risk.
Crazyjim - Magnaflow actually does have a OBDII Cali-legal cat for the 98. Warner's Muffler in Oceanside had 'em and installs them.

Ronbo said:
Yes, I was. :)
There is OBDII 49 state and OBDII California legal. Everyone sells 49 state models, but they will fail visual if the smog-nazi gets really picky. You can get lucky and find a shop to install it, even though it is illegal for them to do so. Most shops won't run that risk.
Crazyjim - Magnaflow actually does have a OBDII Cali-legal cat for the 98. Warner's Muffler in Oceanside had 'em and installs them.
I'll reword that, while they may make a cat, they don't make a HIGH flow cat for it. If you can find one I'll be amazed, their book NOR their website shows one.

GrimmJeeper said:
the second o2 sensor goes AFTER the cat not IN the cat. napa sells a fed emissions cat and a CARB cat. the o2 sensor has nothing to do with it. federal emissions cats will not pass CA smog on the sniffer. they dont meet the catalyst requirements for nazifornia.

Interesting to know. I figured I'd toss a fed cat on the 98 Honda if I needed it, but now I'm thinking I should move out of this insanely run state... :)

Back