• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

! ton steering upgrade?

robsjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning to do a 1 ton cross over on my 2k xj. The motion offroad and the jcr system are at the top of my list but I up in the air about the difference in the tie rod ends. The Motion setup uses a 7/8 treaded end with a stock taper( no mod needed to knuckles) The jcr uses the same tread but the tie rod ends require drilling the knuckles out to 5/8 then retapering them. I'm assuming that the jcr is of course more HD but is it necessary and worth the extra cost. I drive it daily and wheel it with my club monthly. I usually run black trails and it has a 6.5" lift with 33's. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Motion offroad is GARBAGE. stay away from leadnotswallow and all his crap. its not even 1-ton, just a conversion to inverted-T steering. JCR is much better, and with that much lift, and you need to DD it after wheeling, so HD = good. idk how you've yet to bend up your stock tie rod running blacks.

BTW... JCR isnt x over steering.

I somehow managed to keep stock steering alive on 35s for a couple of years doing some fairly hard trails, including the Rubicon. Not sure if thats considered a "Black" trail though.

That being said, I have the JCR kit and have had no problems other then me not tightening down the castle nuts. Be aware that if you go OTK you might have to redo your track bar axle mount, as well as you needing a specific reamer.

I have been using the stock draglink and TRE's with a Big Daddy HD tie rod up until now. This past weekend I bent my drivers TRE about 45 degrees and the draglink socket felt like it was about to fall out after a 2 days of hard wheeling at RC in PA. So since I like to drive to work during the week and wheel it on weekends I need my steering among other things to be reliable and worryfree. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing I can tell between the two kits are the TRE's. What am I missing?

here is the system i bought from CSE its the Rugged ridge brand (same thing motion is selling) its a fine system very well made and strong. at 6.5 inch lift get the tre spacer to stop the tre roll that can make the steering sloppy.

http://www.cseoffroad.com/1805082.html

I installed the JCR 1-Ton Steering upgrade last week and got to test it out this past weekend. It is beefy. It doesn't bounce off of rocks it moves them out of the way. I did a tape measure alignment before I left for the weekend and at 65 mph on the highway without a steering stabilizer it was way better then the stock steering that was on there. I am currently running a RE 4.5" lift with their standard track bar.

I would recommend the steering to anyone. But don't buy the snap-on reamer, there is a guy on eBay that sells reamers, xcut I believe is the name. And get a good 5/8 drill bit. Have a machine shop ream the pitman arm. The knuckles are easy but check your progress often. And get good cutting oil.

Here's a pic:

100_0304.jpg

Not that this post is worth any experience...I did end up going JCR. I just have to install it. I can't wait to see how it feels. FWIW.

not that it matters now because it looks like you already got the steering...but TeraFlex makes a high steer kit, one ton, that is pretty sweet. i got it for my jeep about a month back and i have been pretty happy with it.

Got the JCR installed yesterday and It's definately beefier. Not much chance of it ever failing but I did notice that it wanders alot and I hate to say it because I've never had it before never wanted it but I hit a pothole last night and it did it, yes death wobble. Son of a b**ch!!!! I'm attributing it to their claim that you wouldn't need a steering stabilizer with this kit. I guess it's going back on. Too bad the kit doesn't come with the bracket. I guess I'll need to go out buy one, not cool.

I've got my JCR OTK setup installed. I did have bump steer and DW something awfull. I was set to blame JCR untill I found that my track bar bushing was shot to hell. The bolt was tight but the inner diameter of the bushing went from 1/2 to a little over 3/4 lol.

I replaced the bushing and I have no issues with it at all. No DW or BS.

The wandering your getting could be related to the gear box. Just a thought. I had mine go bad recently and after doing some research I found that they go bad pretty often.

Also, you do not need the steering stabilizer. It won't fix anything but might cover up the problem.
I didn't have one with stock steering and it didn't make a difference FWIW.
Try and recheck the alignment.

Last edited:
robsjeepxj said:
Got the JCR installed yesterday and It's definately beefier. Not much chance of it ever failing but I did notice that it wanders alot and I hate to say it because I've never had it before never wanted it but I hit a pothole last night and it did it, yes death wobble. Son of a b**ch!!!! I'm attributing it to their claim that you wouldn't need a steering stabilizer with this kit. I guess it's going back on. Too bad the kit doesn't come with the bracket. I guess I'll need to go out buy one, not cool.
Is it over the knuckle, under? Did you relocate the trackbar? Is the trackbar loose?

robsjeepxj said:

Yea, something else is wrong.......Its not the JCRs kit that is causing this.

Post a pic and lets see what you have.

Youcan see in my pic that I don't run a stabilizer either. I run it on the freeway alot (70+ mph). But I do have some play in the steering but I am pretty sure that it is from the steering box. It has developed a leak.

It's under and the track bar and bracket were upgraded a few months ago with RE 1660 (adj superflex). Never had a problem before ever. Whole lift is RE too.

Went over EVERY SINGLE mounting bolt, suspension bushing, flex joint and ball joint, I checked and tightened everything. Found nothing worn or bad. Unfortunately It is still not anywhere near as good over bumps as stock. It still has a minor wobble but has not as of yet been uncontrollable. I think putting the stabilizer back on might make it ride better.

Putting the stabilizer on will just "mask" the problem so the true prblem will still be there and may get worse.

I just ordered my 1-ton OTK set-up about a half hour ago. I cant wait till I get it.
Probably just going to buy the snap-on reamer though. I dont wanna deal with e-bay and my snap-on guy I deal with is cool.

1 question, How much "modifying" to the coil buckets for the OTK set-up was needed on your rigs?
Thanks

SketchyXJ said:
Putting the stabilizer on will just "mask" the problem so the true prblem will still be there and may get worse.

I just ordered my 1-ton OTK set-up about a half hour ago. I cant wait till I get it.
Probably just going to buy the snap-on reamer though. I dont wanna deal with e-bay and my snap-on guy I deal with is cool.

1 question, How much "modifying" to the coil buckets for the OTK set-up was needed on your rigs?
Thanks

Not much. It's really a personal prefrence. Just grind enough off untill you feel comfortable with the radius. Then adjust the steering locks accordingly.

The snapon reamer worked perfectly fine for me. I put it in a drill and used wd40 to cool it off every ~45 seconds. I did it by hand when it would get hung up, then back to the drill.

Back