• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ to XJ NP231 Swap?

surreyxj

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend my t-case failed and I lost the rear drive section. I was luckily able to get myself home on the front diff. Anyway, I searched around a bit on here and didn't come up with an answer so ...

Can I use an np231 from an 88 YJ as a direct swap into an 89 XJ, mated to a BA10 tranny?

Yes, I know, burn the BA10, but first things first. The XJ has a '92 4.0L manche engine and will reuse the rear shaft that is currently in there.

If not, are there any other non-XJ np231s that will work as a direct swap? The reason I ask is that I belong to the local Jeep club up here and am one of few members rocking an XJ. There is a guy who has one for a great price, but it's from the 88 YJ.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Whoops, just realized I posted this in modified when it maybe should have gone in OEM. Sorry mods.

Last edited:
The T-case will swap across, but you will most likely need the input gear from your old T-case. I think the BA-10 has a different output shaft then any other trans used in the XJ or YJ/TJ. By the way, the transfer case is clocked higher in a YJ or TJ then in the XJ, but the T-case is the same. The difference is in the adapter housing on the back of the transmission.

I kind of wondered if the input would be different. I will look into changing out the input gear or keep looking for one from a similar XJ.

Thanks for the feedback.

you may not need to swap the input.. both applications should have a 21-spline shaft but the length of the input could be different. when swapping inputs i like to swap the entire planetary assembly. probably not nessecary but i look at it as the gears "wear-in" to eachother and you dont want to interchange friction parts..

Back