• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hot for a rear end?

partyncwby

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so my rear bearings were starting to go (I noticed the diff getting hot) and I had the rear end (D35) checked out. My bearings needed replaced and my R&P were fine. So I got my axle back and I noticed that the preload on the carrier bearings was very tight. But I figure that they know what their doing. I put it back back in my XJ and run it up on jack stands for an hour to Run the bearings in. The next day I drove down to the river and back to the house. Five miles total. I get back to the house and my diff is screaming hot, hotter then when the bearings were going out. So How hot for a rear end?

Thanks

yea but for five miles, probably not that hot, definately too much friction, have them bearings fixed, if they're not toast already, and make sure its new gear oil in the case as well, just to keep things smooth.. (duh)

Yeah, that's the thing. They are new bearings and new gear oil. I felt the diff casting behind the carrier bearings and it was way hotter there then the rest of the casting. Thoughts?

Back