• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Brake Rotor removal

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
I've removed the caliper and from looking at the new rotor I would guess that I should be able to just take the old rotor off without removing anything else.

Before I smash the rotor with too large of a hammer to unstick it is there anything else I need to remove? I didn't see any retaining c clips on the studs and it's very rusty.

have you tried to soak with a product like PB Blaster or liquid wrench? a good penetrating oil (NOT wd40 crap) may help in lossening the chemical bond of the rust.

if you want to make the new one easier to remove next time, apply a SMALL amount of high temp anti sieze to the matting surfaces. i put some on where the rotor contacts the axle assembly including up to the lower portion of the lugs where the rotor sits. do not get any on the lug threads where the lug nuts sit.

hth
stewie

Second that. For the old rotors, it took some Aerokroil and a couple of shots from the deadblow to break them loose. The new ones practically fall off now when I pull the wheels.

I took a couple of quick wacks at it with a mini sledge last night but it didn't budge. I put in an order for some Aerokroil so will give that a test when it gets here. They are having a free can offer with any order at the moment.

Last edited:
Look for the assembly clips that hold the rotor onto the stud(s) at the factory. They hold the rotor on extraordinarily well if you overlook 'em.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Put two lug nuts back on, a couple of turns each, or you will hurt your body parts...

Well, after a few severe beatings with the BFH that has left a few marks in the rotor it's still hanging in there like it was bolted in. The amount of rust and wear on the rotor says this things had some better days so I'm not entire surprised it's tough to remove. I don't think I've ever dented a rotor without it coming loose before though.

Hopefully the penetrating oil I ordered will come soon before I find an even larger hammer and find a bit more faith in how hard you can hit the rotor without knocking it off the jackstands :)

I got tired of waiting for the Aerokroil and picked up a can of PB Blaster. Shot it in though the lug nut holes and left it overnight.

A few good wacks from behind the rotor in between the caliper arms and I finally saw some movement. A few rotations and more wacks and they finally came off.

I was rather impressed by the area covered over night by one application of the PB. You can see it easily covered the entire flat surface of the rotor and had done the lower section of the walls of the dome too.

Glad you finally got it off there, yet another praise for the wonder that is PB Blaster.

take a wire brush and brush off the loose bits of rust. I make it a habit of doing that every time i take something off or apart just to be on the safe side. napa makes good quality toothbrush sized wire brushes.

dont forget to apply a SMALL (a little goes a way long ways) amount of antisieze to the back of the rotor to aid in future removal.

Could someone give a better description of the "clips" that are supposed to be holding the rotors on. like what do they look like, where are they located, and how to i remove them?

thanks, and sorry to resurrect an old thread.

ECGTECH

They are very thin round plates that slip over the wheel studs. Should be only two (maybe one). Just slip something thin like a putty knife between it and the rotor and pry up a bit. Once you get some clearance, yank them off with some pliers or visegrips and discard.

Would be hard to believe you still have them on. Most people never replace them.

Could someone give a better description of the "clips" that are supposed to be holding the rotors on.
The look a bit like this:
retainer-000061496-4.jpg

They are pushed over the wheel stud. As far I know they are used to hold the rotor in place on the assembly line. They are thin metal so a pair of pliers will pull them off.

Back