• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone come buy and give me a hand for a few hours on sun the 27th?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well got word that my buddies 69 firebird conv, is having valvetrain issues and that the cam has lost 2-3 lobes. Its got a GM crate block, Edel RPM Alum heads and not much under the hood to get in the way....

So I ordered a new hydraulic roller setup today and all the other parts needed except the coolant basically.

I was hoping to use sunday to get it swaped out. Anyone handy with a wrench that knows what I am talking about care to come over and help for a few hours or so? I typically take this stuff on alone, but thats getting old. Will comp. you 50$ if come over start to finish or close there to. Also all the beer and pizza or if the wife cooks its much better then pizza. Dont expect it taking more then 5 hours total with two or more people.

I will prolly start on it a few days before with draining fluids and removing radiator and such. I have air tools and typically do this type of work, so have everything needed, tool wise. And if you like muscle cars you will really liek this one. About 25K$ put in it since Oct 05.

If you can help that would be great. And dont want to sound unthankful for those that can help but dont know what this entails, but if you dont feel you could change out a cam on your own ride without help, I thank you for your interest, but I need to get it done quickly and smoothly, and cant really use this time to "teach" or such.

PM me if you can help.
Thanks

$10 bucks an hour for engine work. Too bady I'm busy.

Really though, i'd consider swinging by, but I'll be up in bigbear wheeling.

cal said:
$10 bucks an hour for engine work. Too bady I'm busy.

Really though, i'd consider swinging by, but I'll be up in bigbear wheeling.

the money was more as gas incentive.

Its prety bad though when your on the trail and give blood, tools, parts, and pull winch line for others and give up wheeling time, all at the drop of a hat on a dirt road or trail or even in the mud. But when you ask for help a week in advance at a house where theres a BBQ, Pool, good food and drink, the right tools and all the parts needed, etc...

But, this isnt the first time help is hard to come by... and maybe the reason my tube bender, welder, fab tools, electrical expertise, etc hasent been offered to those here on NAXJA for about 2 years. Was just gauging if maybe the people have changed some.
But I guess its my doing also, by not being in the "in clique" here. And telling it how it is and wheeling how I like when I like and not being worried about being socially correct...

:peace:

I was teasing you about the money. :)

I really do already have plans to be elsewhere, or I'd swing by, $50 or no $50. Besides, you know first hand when I can accomodate helping someone in need I will - even if it means missing a day of work.

Last edited:
I hear you man. I can change cams all day long, but I'm scheduled Sun-Tuesday to be in the studio - the band I'm in is recording a demo, and studio time isn't cheap :(.

Never know, though, help still may arrive. With the Rock Garden thing this weekend however, many are going to shy away from a Sunday gig probably.

Sorry, dude!

seiously rob if i wasnt going to be in sandiego with family i would help you. can you push it back a week? i could be there for sure.

Dude, don't get mad.
I would have offered to come and help but I have never changed a cam. I can remove/replace motors and have torn a couple apart and swapped tranmissions but the way you worded it, it seemed like I am not experienced enough to help. I might be able to swing by if you want, let me know.

naw its coll all.. I do know that it was the day after the rock garden gig and that is taking presidence and understandable. I was just venting some and not mad.. its just what it is..

I got it handled. Always do, just was looking for a extra few hands that didnt need teaching so much as feeding and drinking with...

Move on out here Robert and see how few will come running to help!

:D

I just prefer to work by myself (that way when I screw something up, nobody is the wiser!)

Your timing could have been better, maybe I should postpone this Rockgarden thing for a week (THAT would sure open up some time!)

And please, don't even compare trail help to garage help, you are already there on the trail...... gotta' schedule to make it to a garage party!

;)

Jump This said:
Move on out here Robert and see how few will come running to help!

;)

I Bet!

And the suspension could use some lifting haha.. Its all hotchis (sp?) and KYB.

ROBERTK said:
And the suspension could use some lifting haha.. Its all hotchis (sp?) and KYB.

Ah, there's your issue. That KYB stuff is total junk. :D I keep pushing our headquarters to start making aftermarket sus.

TheWarWagon said:
Ah, there's your issue. That KYB stuff is total junk. :D I keep pushing our headquarters to start making aftermarket sus.

whys that? Is the plastic adn rubber/silicone content in those things really that stong. If it is I am surprised that people pop em when abusing them as they do I hear. Maybe you just need to put that better stuf in the umm well "usable" spots..

Wait what kinda business do you work for again?

:woohoo:

ROBERTK said:
Wait what kinda business do you work for again?

Haha well I work with KYB's biggest competitor Showa. But in all honesty, as far as struts, etc- KYB is good stuff.

Jump This said:
I just prefer to work by myself (that way when I screw something up, nobody is the wiser!)

;)

With age comes wisdom.... :)

If you were closer to SD I'd be there, love tinkering on old muscle cars, even have the stuff to degree a cam from my Oldsmobile and Mustang days.

As Kevin's neighbor Lou would say.. Bilstein! But then again he works for them. I've got Koni sports (yellow) on the Civic Si, so far so good. As long as it's not a monroe... :)

Back