• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fill me in plz...

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered the RE 6030 for my XJ. I was sitting here when I realized that I hardly know anything about suspensions whatsoever. I would like some info about what the function of control arms, sway bar, trac bar, and anything else having to do with suspensions. I just want to get a bit educated before I dive head first into this installation. I have people that know (or claim to know) what they are doing, but I would like to know some of the basics. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

well, lower control arms keep your front axle centered front to rear, trackbar keeps it centered side to side, upper control arms keep it from twisting along tube axis, sway bars should really be called anti-sway bars and you should know the function of springs/shocks, that is a very basic rundown, try searching google or something for" four link with panhard bar", that should give you more details.

control arms:
Locate the wheels in the wheelwell. These are what connect your axle to the body. Lowers take most of the abuse an are what actually locate the axle, uppers set pinion angle and keep the axle from twisting.
Trac bar:
Keeps the axle centered under the truck, the adjustable trackbar will let you center the axle after you've lifted it. Lifting your XJ will shift the axle to the drivers side, as the trac bar moves in a arc. lose the trac bar and you also lose most of your steering ability, as the drag link will simply push the axle.
Sway bar:
Controls body roll, basically a torsion bar.
Drag link:
The link btween your pitman arm and tie-rod. Transfers the lateral motion of the steering box to the wheels. You'll need to adjust this after your lift to re-center your steering wheel.
Tie-Rod: Links the two wheels together. Because of the sotck jeep steering lifting will change the toe of your tires, this will need to be adjusted.
Here's a picture for reference, this is a TJ front end, but the steering and suspension is pretty much identical.
Jeepfrontendparts.jpg

the control arms keep the axle from rotating, and also allow you to adjust the caster, and pinion angle (if they are adjustable).

The track bar controls the side to side movement that allows your axle to stay centered under the vehichle.

The sway bar is a handling device which limits the axle drop to gain more control at higher speeds. Does what its says controls sway.

PB blast every nut and bolt. Be sure to re-torque all bolt at least 3 times after it is all put together. Use a ratchet strap, winch, big pipe wrench, breaker bars, really big hammer to get things off and back on.

If somthing doesnt want to go in easily, think of a way to make it work.

Your trackbar should end up parrallel with your drag link in the end.

edit: I dont type as fast as manche or skullv.

Your control arms should be the same length.

Your axle needs to be completely centered.

This site has a great deal of info for what you are about to do.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Good luck. It will get easier when you put your next lift on.

Back