• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight Over Heating Problem?

NWPhotog

NAXJA Forum User
96 cherokee that only seems to over heat on warm days with AC on. If I am over heating and turn heater on engine will cool down and run wo a problem. On warm days if I leave the AC off it will run pretty normal. With AC on sometimes OK and sometimes not. Water pump and heater valve replaced 6 months ago. How do I tell if radiator is the problem? Other than circulation or thermostat any ideas or troublehsooting steps? Thanks!

Radiator wasn't flushed and clutch may be an issue. I'll have to check about Aux fan. It does come one but I wasn't paying attention to when. Any easy way to check clutch or radiator flow? Also when it begins to overheat I get boiling in radiator overflow. Not sure if that suggests anything specific.

The mechanical fan clutch should engage when engine is warm, so heres what you do to check it...

Pop the hood with the engine cold, the fan should turn by hand as it isnt engaged to the pully.

Start the Jeep, let it warm up to factory operating temp(200-210).

Turn off engine, pop hood and turn fan by hand again. If cluch is working properly, the cluch will be engaged and fan will not turn without pully. If it still turns freely, your clutch is defective.

Try Water Wetter or Purple Ice. They improve the efficiency of the heat transfer by making it harder for large air bubbles to form in the block at hot spots. Available at the major parts chains.

If the radiator is original or you don't know if it's ever been replaced consider a new one if you have the $. They get crudded up over time with water deposits, dirt, rust and other junk that flushing can't fix. A CSF 2-row all metal (p/n W0133-1680087) is $172.95 at Autopartswarehouse or car-stuffcom.

new radiator, the factory one is crappy. I spent 3 years during college trying 1 band aid or another to fix overheating issues. The day I changed to a two row rad I never had another problem. If you dont want to wait very long for shipping, Advance Auto sells a "Heatbuster" series rad for $201. I think it is the CSF version, I used to work there and remember seeing the boxes labeled with their brandname.

another thing you can look into is one of Marcus' many mods on his "GoJeep" website

this one may help you

I am actually doing this today, because I have the pieces here and your thread reminded me I had wanted to not long ago, so thanks for that.

Back