• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing entire A/C system...

hippymill

NAXJA Forum User
how difficult is it to remove the AC system, then wire the electric fan to a switch? Does anyone have a writeup on this? What belt should I get if I remove the compressor? thanks

there are threads on here for this mod

short story, you'll need pulley to sub in for ac pulley. don't think you can skip the ac pulley as there are some things in the way (water pump, etc)
you could move the alt up to ac spot, more threads on that too here.

I just did this in mine. All I did is have the AC system cleaned out, put in a pully out of a non-AC 4.0, took out all the lines and such, and crimped the lines going into the fire wall.

Sure people will tell you to convert it to OBA, but I did not have the time or room to do it. The engine bay is congested enough stock. I didnt want to add other things to make it even more crowded.

I did the same thing, except I removed everything under the dash (hmmm...I removed the dash, too). I got the pully for a non-AC rig which replaces the compressor. Not difficult to do, but you need that pulley. If you can find one used, great, I just bought one from the dealer.

:yap: year & engine make a big difference. 4.0 87/90[Renix models] came with an A/C delete pulley that replaces the compresser. You must use a delete pulley. If you use a shorter belt the water pump runs backwards. The only aftermarket pulleys are for 91 to 93, the offset is wrong for the 94 & later, but you can modify the bracket to make it fit the newer XJ. I swapped out the pumps and brackets from a YJ, but you lose the stock electric fan & move the clutch fan to the center of the radiator. The only reason this was practical for me was I had access to the YJ parts. I don't believe this is an issue for 4 cyl or V-6 models, I think you can reconfigure them for no A/C. You can find the 87 to 90 factory delete pulleys in the boneyards,but they will not work on the H.O. motors without serious modification. I live in western Washington where you can get by without A/C my dd still has it but I don't think I need it on my trail rigs. I've pulled it off two 95s & did one each in the 2 ways explained & the aftermarket pulley is the easiest way to go. They are a cheap POS plastic pulley with a nice cast bracket, I think fabbing one up is the best way to go though. I'm going to try that the next time I do one.

My AC delete pully is on a '98 motor.

Goatman said:
My AC delete pully is on a '98 motor.[ /quote] was this a Mopar part? My local dealer told me there was no such animal & I'd have to locate one elsewhere. It has to be better than the aftermarket piece I bought, and it probably fit better.

Back