• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help before I start shooting my Jeep - Shackle Question

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed some RE 5.5 leafs. The shackles will not come forward. And they BANG BANG every time I go over a bump. They are forced backwards. It looks like it has to be that way due to the length of the leaf.

• The leaf is in correctly (big bushing forward).
  • The shackle is in correctly (open face forward).
I gave it a good rompin' ass test drive too. I didn't tighten the bolts yet either. Someone please have something good...I don't know if is the 110F heat or the fact that I've installed and uninstalled the leafs and the shackles twice, but I am so pissed at this thing right now... I need some NAXJA therapy.

Shackle001.jpg

Shackle002.jpg

Shackle003.jpg

Shackle004.jpg

razdrvr said:
looks like you need boomerangs or BRIANHO13's shackle reallocators.

But WHY MAN? WHY? $#$@#* ASF(#*$* I just want to bolt a damn set of leafs on and have it work. Is that too much to ask? (hear him loading his AR-15) I mean dang...(taking aim at 94 Jeep Cherokee)

Anyway, I can't use BrianHo's because I'm using the hitch bolts for some rear bumper reinforcement...you can kinda see it in the picture.

But the boomerangs work for this situation?

razdrvr said it all. those are really the only way to fix that. your now looking at lifting the rear another 1-2"s. i like the shackle relocation but if your not wanting to go bigger then get some tnt boomerangs. a guy in the south east chaper has some for sale. check him out

Calm down.

You need shackles now beacuse since youve gone to longer leaves, the shackles need to be able to clear the hanger boxes. I wouldnt recomend driving around like that for long, or youll have to rebuild your hanger boxes, ask me how i know.

If theres anything ive learned, its: If you upgrade one thing on your Jeep, you'll have to upgrade 3 others...

userbmx1315 said:
razdrvr said it all. those are really the only way to fix that. your now looking at lifting the rear another 1-2"s. i like the shackle relocation but if your not wanting to go bigger then get some tnt boomerangs. a guy in the south east chaper has some for sale. check him out

What do the boomerangs do? Do they just hit the frame sooner so it can't reach that angle?...

They are shaped like a boomerang, they angle away from the shackle box.

swbooking said:
Calm down.

hehe....but don't tell me you don't know how it is. Can be damn frustrating sometimes.

I just remember when I put some 6.5 rusty leafs on my last rig. The shackles were pinned back like that. But I went out and proceeded to romp the weewee out of it, and then they flipped forward and stayed there. These are not flipping.

So to the boomerangs. I could only find YJ and CJ. Which one is generally used for XJs? I'd prefer not to add any more lift.

TnT, RE, Teraflex ( not the revovlers)

no they put the shackle so it points down like stock and puts the leaf back a ways and then u get full flex from it both down and up travel. but dont put the boomerang shacks in backwards or u will have the same prob.... dont ask how i know that just dont. hope that helps

Fulltraction as well they have good ones.

Stock shackles with anything above 3.5" springs = suckage.

Your other thread about the center pin plus these things being freakishly long makes me think something is very wrong. I've done a LOT of RE kits and haven't seen either one of these issues before...

And use 12ga rifled slugs for greater penetration. :scottm:

outlander said:
Did you return those springs that were made in India for the correct RE springs?

RE told me their springs ARE made in India and the leafs were marked correctly but there is still no explanation regarding the center bolt... I was gonna keep the springs, but now this...I'm not sure.

Those springs definately do not look like my Re 5.5" springs.....Good luck with RE they can be argumentative.(I'll spare my experiences for the sake of this thread)

Why settle for bunk parts?You paid hard earned money to RE for this kit...right?

Last edited:
Bring the POS over and we will fix it.....
Damn Marshal, I expect more from you, thinkin' an AR is going to do much damage to your XJ....you need to break out the heavy guns!

I know where you might find a 50cal....

Jump This said:
Bring the POS over and we will fix it.....
Damn Marshal, I expect more from you, thinkin' an AR is going to do much damage to your XJ....you need to break out the heavy guns!

I know where you might find a 50cal....

You still in Queen Creek? I'm only 10 mins away. Get over here. Wife is gone so I have a kitchen pass tonight and tomorrow.

I had this same problem. I ordered a set on 4.5" RE springs from 4WPs and they had one spring in stock and had to order the other one. I got them and installed them. Once installed I took it for a test drive and noticed a banging noise in the rear. I got under it and noticed that the springs were different. They had the same part number but the springs were made completely different. I took them back out and you could stand them up side by side and one was about 2" longer then the other. I took them back to 4WPs and they replaced them with new ones that work great now.

I would take them back where you got them and make them get a new set. Good luck, don't give up you will like the springs once you get the right ones.

Back