• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Cooler for '87

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where I can find a transmission cooler for an '87 with a manual? The only coolers I can find for this generation XJ is for an auto. I'm also looking for a trans. temp gauge. I'm going to do some towing and I want to make sure everything is sound. Anything else I should look into getting/replacing so that the lil' old engine can handle it? All I'm towing will be a 2500-3500 lb. tent trailer. The reason for the wide range in weight is becuase I havn't decided on which model yet. :D

The reason that they don't make them for a manual is that you don't need to worry about trans. temp. I have never heard of overheating a manual. Thats an auto problem. Even on a diesel truck, if you order a chip and guages for a manual, it doesn't come with a trans. temp gauge. I could be wrong but all the manuals that i've seen use 90w oil, not ATF like an auto, so it wouldn't flow through a cooler anyway.

More to the point,most manual transmissions do not have a oil(gear fluid) pump.Race cars do add their own for the trans and the diffs but its not needed for a non-racing 4x4!Automatics generate heat because of the torque converter and clutches,manuals dont!

Back