• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Rear Tire Carrier?****

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where one could get one of these? Its on a right hand drive XJ so I'm not sure if they made cherokees with this option in the U.S., but I would be interested in it as it would probobly be cheaper to get one of these than a $500+ piece that comes as a bumper/tire carrier unit.

800px-Jeep_Cherokee_XJ_002.JPG

Try and find the older amc design, used a hinge on the quarter panel as well as the bumper. a little better clearance. I got mine for $35 bucks at the junker. just needed to be painted and installed

That was a MOPAR OEM tire carrier. Its not good for bigger than a 31" tire.

The $500 bumper/tire carriers are the way to go. Way more stout, holds a bigger tire, and gets you recovery points at the same time.

my local yard has one that is mentioned by Bcmaxx and they go for like $50. And as stated above, you dont want to haul a tire larger then 31" on it.

the lug nut studs arnt long enough. the tire hits the carrier and wont let you bolt on the tire. But i have that tire carrier and i think there the way to go. Im gonna lengthen the lug nut studs and then build a basic custom steel bumper and weld the carrier to the bumper. Might cost me 100 bucks total instead of spending 500+

I saw that exact carrier on an XJ at the junkyard on the weekend. It is not very sturdy and I wouldn't trust it with anything more than a stock tire.

I had one of those on my '93 when I first got it and hung a 35" tire on it without modifying it one bit. It bounced around and made noise, but never failed to hold the 35 on there. Not that I'm advocating it, but I'd think you could use it up to a 32" to 33" tire without issue - as long as you're not using the XJ on the Baja or anything like that - but I did some nasty trails in Moab and Colorado with that carrier and it did just fine. I'd prefer those to the older ones that bolt to the body, but the trade off for the Mopar one is that it does tend to drag on that lower corner when off road. (Hitting rocks, ledges, etc.)

My 94 came with one I think its beefy alright, it has been carrying my 235 for the last 14 years & I beat the heck out of it. Every once & a while I inspect it for some weld cracks but nothing. The corner mounting section is made out of 3/16.

There are 2 minor issues with them:

1) There lock mechanism relies on the hatch so every time you smack it closed your hatch oscillate a bit ( fiberglass hatch)

2) The wheel mounting bolts will need a spacer & changed with taller ones for thicker tires.

The one in the pic is the Mopar one. The AMC has the arm w/hinge on the quarter panel.

Anybody know where I might be able to track down the mopar style hatch mounting hardware? I've got one of the carriers in the garage but no latch.

Back