• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OMFG ......Mr. Over Kill does it again

willy51

NAXJA Forum User
After getting off from work today, Troy proceeded to undress and shave a Dana 60 rear axle in under 5 hours! :eek:

Started off with a 65" WMS to WMS 5x5.5" 35 spline semi float axle....
DSC04719%20(Medium).JPG

He took a couple of measurements and off goes the bottom.
DSC04718%20(Medium).JPG

This fell on the floot...
DSC04717%20(Medium).JPG

His axle hangs loose like sleeve of wizard....
DSC04716%20(Medium).JPG

Then the cap....
DSC04715%20(Medium).JPG

Used NiRod and made sparks.....
DSC04714%20(Medium).JPG

Addressed the inside as well...
DSC04713%20(Medium).JPG

Purdy..........
DSC04712%20(Medium).JPG

Modified a SUPER BEEF cover to fit
DSC04711%20(Medium).JPG

Has better clearance (now), strength, and pinion offset than a 44!
DSC04710%20(Medium).JPG

Women watch out! This man knows how to shave! :D

willy51 said:
This man knows how to shave! :D

did you hear that Cal? Troy can help you out on that brazilian wax you've been wantin

Very nice work again Troy

djblade311 said:
did you hear that Cal? Troy can help you out on that brazilian wax you've been wantin

Very nice work again Troy

I've been looking for someone to shave my dana 30..

how thick is the material on the bottom?

when I shaved my 9, I put 1/4" on there, and now its dented quite a bit... and im kinda concerned about my ring gear clearance...

I wish id put 3/8" plate...:tear:

XJ_ranger said:

when I shaved my 9, I put 1/4" on there, and now its dented quite a bit... and im kinda concerned about my ring gear clearance...

FWIW, I have had 1/4" on my HP 60 for a while and not had had an issue. Whe it was re-done it seemed fine inside and out. Troy, though, is planning on adding a 1/8" plate to the bottom of his just in case.

Jump This said:
OMFG huh?
Not appropriate....

OMFG: Olives, Mayo, Feta, Garlic.

XJ_ranger said:

1/4"? That's it? That's for rock rails and bumpers.

cracker said:
FWIW, I have had 1/4" on my HP 60 for a while and not had had an issue. Whe it was re-done it seemed fine inside and out. Troy, though, is planning on adding a 1/8" plate to the bottom of his just in case.

looking at how the 60 is cut, and how the housing supports all but where the ring gear is, I can see getting by with 1/4"

On the 9, I cut the whole bottom of the housing off, and had like a 5"x8" oval of un-supported plate on the bottom...

XJ_ranger said:
looking at how the 60 is cut, and how the housing supports all but where the ring gear is, I can see getting by with 1/4"

On the 9, I cut the whole bottom of the housing off, and had like a 5"x8" oval of un-supported plate on the bottom...

Yeah. 'Specially on a OEM 9" housing I could see it more of an issue compared to a Spidertrack or what not.

FWIW, my 9" housing has 3/16" plate on top of the 1/4" housing but that is to protect just the frontal impacts.

mikedashg said:
1/4"? That's it? That's for rock rails and bumpers.

my new bumper will be 1.25x.188 round tube with 1.25x.065 tube supports and 1.5x.120 mixed in...

1/4" other than control arm mounts doesnt belong on XJs :D

XJ_ranger said:
my new bumper will be 1.25x.188 round tube with 1.25x.065 tube supports and 1.5x.120 mixed in...

1/4" other than control arm mounts doesnt belong on XJs :D

Tell that to all the people with their smashed bumpers and rock rails. Or better yet the rock rails that get smashed and then pushed up into the rocker panels.

1/4" all the way around, it's the only way to fly. Not counting the rear bumper mounts which are 2" solid stainless.

mikedashg said:
Tell that to all the people with their smashed bumpers and rock rails. Or better yet the rock rails that get smashed and then pushed up into the rocker panels.

1/4" all the way around, it's the only way to fly. Not counting the rear bumper mounts which are 2" solid stainless.

That's because they have too much 1/4" already. :D

mikedashg said:

Bah ! You know it's all in the design Mike.
Is your tweaked front bumper 1/4" ? :woohoo:

Ronbo said:
Bah ! You know it's all in the design Mike.
Is your tweaked front bumper 1/4" ? :woohoo:

Actually, the top and bottom is 1/4" LOL. But the mounting/bracing was not finished before I slammed it into a JV rock.

Back