• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for guys who have removed rear sway bar.

Its hard for me to make a fair comparison between how mine handled with it on and how it handles with it off because I lifted and changed shocks at the same time I removed the bar. I can say it handles ok. It does seem to have more sway but that is probably because it sits 4" higher than it did. Its by no means dangerous though. I wont be putting mine back on.

I removed mine while it was still stock, and it's still off. I do notice more sway in the rear when I hit bumps, especially if you hit one while turning. It's not bad though, and I don't plan on ever putting it back on.

I pulled mine off when it was bone stock and sure as hell didn't notice a difference. ;) I even hauled a trailer from El Paso, TX to Seattle, WA and it handled fine.

Took mine off, didn't notice it at first but after it was off a while I noticed in the rain it hooked up better around corners and found it more difficult to get it sideways when messing around.
BTW not goin back on!

you dont need it. pull it off.

ECKSJAY said:
I pulled mine off when it was bone stock and sure as hell didn't notice a difference. ;)

When installing lift leaf packs, they're stiffer than the old stock ones, which reduces sway by comparison. I don't know of anyone who's replaced their rear leaf packs with lifted ones and kept the rear sway bar. I chucked mine, and it drives and handles fine.

I have no opinion. DC took mine off at the factory before they let me drive.

I had mine removed when I did my lift. I don't think it's a big deal and I don't even think about it now. :)

Ray H said:
Its hard for me to make a fair comparison between how mine handled with it on and how it handles with it off because I lifted and changed shocks at the same time I removed the bar. I can say it handles ok. It does seem to have more sway but that is probably because it sits 4" higher than it did. Its by no means dangerous though. I wont be putting mine back on.
Exactly my thoughts. I initially pulled the swaybar off with my 2" Budget Boost, and that entailed removing a shor leaf and adding a stiffer long leaf into the pack. I also added new (working) shocks at the same time I pulled the swaybar off the rear, so there's no real good way to compare.

Lose the rear swaybar with your lift. Don't even consider the thought that you'll make disconnects for it...that's about the most inaccessible thing you can do.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

xj88superjeep said:
How does it handle on road? Did you decide to reinstall it after removing it?

Remove it, if you dont like it, put it back. Its only six bolts.

I have 5 XJ's from stock to wild and only one has the rear sway only because I tow with that one. I would remove it if you plan on even some mild wheelin' and just don't drive so deep in the corners and you will be fine.

Keep the mounts that attach at the u-bolt plates, they make good upper shock mounts in the rear.

Back