• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! problem doors

MY01XL

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some issues with both my rear doors as well as my rear hatch....they won't open. I've had the rear hatch open before and it's worked in the past, but is intermittent. the driver side rear door hasn't opened in a long time and the passenger side rear door has just stopped opening as well.

i think the rear hatch just has a very rusty latch on it. i may be wrong but after pulling it out of the door and spraying it down with a lot of wd40 it worked fine for a while. maybe some pb-blaster will work on it? any other ideas?

the two rear doors i cannot get open at all. it seems like the lock and unlock mechanism works fine as well as the linkage for the door handles. the doors just won't open. i've pryed off the door panels as best i could with the door shut but couldn't really do much from there.

i really need to fix this issue and i do not want to take it to a shop and pay someone to fix this.

i've heard that doors are sometimes a problem with XJs so i'm hoping that someone has had this issue and can help me out with it!

thanks-

adam

I replaced all my door latches becuase they were rusted. Could be your problem also. wd40 only helps to a certain extent. I would take the door panels off and check all the linkages also.

the doors won't open from the inside or the outside...

i would like to just replace the latches but i can't even get the doors open to remove them.

the linkages seem to work fine so i'm not really sure what the problem is.

how can i get the doors open if they're stuck shut?

thanks-

my xj did the same thing, only one door, the rear passanger, what i ended up doing was having my brother push the door shut as hard as he could while holding the button down, i came from inside and pushed the door open with my legs, my problem was the striker had a bur on it and woulnt let the latch release from around it, hope this helps

For the liftgate, from inside the Jeep, pry the trim panel away from the hatch at the bottom center of the window. Reach down in there and feel for the vertical rod on the driver's side of the latch mechanism and pull it up.

For the rear doors, you will have to totally remove the trim panel. It can be done with door closed. Then you can reach the latch and pull the release rod connection by hand. It will move further this way and the door will open.

Back