• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about shim install on RE leafs- pic included

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'll,

Just installed some new RE 5.5 leafs. I had a pair of steel shims from my previous setup that I installed. Well, the leaf pin/bolt wasn't long enough so I measured it and went out to buy a new one. While a lot of research I've done state the hole/pin/bolt are 3/8", actually they measure 7/16". So I went and got a 7/16" bolt and proceeded with the install. Well, when I went to set the nut atop the bolt I realized that it (the nut) wouldn't fit in the hole drilled in the leaf (top) plate. In fact, the nut that came on the bolt from the RE leafs wouldn't have fit either. Well I was going to drill it out, but it is something like .25" steel, hard as hell, and I'd need to open the 3/8" diameter hole to something like .75". No thanks. So here's what I did...just used a big washer, some loctite and the nut, on top of the hole. I think it will be okay. The joint doesn't see axial load, only shear from the leafs, so I don't see why this would be a problem. But I look to you guys to tell me what you think. Has anyone had any experiences like this (especially with RE leafs)? Thanks.

p.s. No comments about the insanely long U-bolts. There was a block in there before. It can't compress far enough for them to hit anything so I left them that length.

BrentAlexCoopers4thJuly2008044.jpg

Last edited:
I dont like it. I cant say for sure that it will be a problem because Ive never heard of anyone doing that before. my gut feeling is that it shouldnt be done that way because the leaf pack will move slightly under certain conditions. Normally the bolt head and nut have a little oom to move around, with it tigghtened against the spring plate, it will fatigue and break before moving. Thats just an opion since I have little more to go on.

PS: I think RE springs come with 3/8" center bolts.

I see a new tire and body work in your future. (n) :explosion

Ray H said:
I dont like it. I cant say for sure that it will be a problem because Ive never heard of anyone doing that before. my gut feeling is that it shouldnt be done that way because the leaf pack will move slightly under certain conditions. Normally the bolt head and nut have a little oom to move around, with it tigghtened against the spring plate, it will fatigue and break before moving. Thats just an opion since I have little more to go on.

PS: I think RE springs come with 3/8" center bolts.

Thanks for the input Ray. But neither of those arguments cause me too much concern.

1. The leaf pack can't move with a hole-filling fastener in it. It would have to shear the fastener first.
2. The nut will actually be more able to move since it won't ever impact the sides of the hole in the top plate.

One more thing Ray, the RE bolt IS 7/16"... see pic below: Bolt measured .430" (Major Diameter of a 7/16" bolt is .4294-.4375, where a 3/8" is .3678-.3750).

Still, like you, something doesn't look right, but I can't find any logical reason not to leave it.
RELift006.jpg

Come on ya'll someone had to encounter this installing their RE Leafs...didn't they?

Last edited:
Leave it to Sidewall to run across a goofy issue!!!!!!!!!!!

AZRockRunner said:
Leave it to Sidewall to run across a goofy issue!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, at least I get out and wheel, instead of spending the day under my new carport ! :laugh3: You missed a very fun one yesterday. Weather was actually tolerable and the wheeling was the :fuse:

Mdub said:
One more thing Ray, the RE bolt IS 7/16"... see pic below: Bolt measured .430" (Major Diameter of a 7/16" bolt is .4294-.4375, where a 3/8" is .3678-.3750).

I see you measuring but I also know that every set of RE springs Ive seen use 3/8" bolts. Dont know what else to tell you. Maybe RE changed manufacturers or something?
You mentioned that you arent worried about shearing. Thats the only thing to worry about a center bolt doing. They arent under any tension load but they are under shear load sometimes. If you arent concerned, Im not. Like I said, Ive never seen an axle setup like that so I dont have anything besides my gut to go on, just like you.

Ray H said:
I see you measuring but I also know that every set of RE springs Ive seen use 3/8" bolts. Dont know what else to tell you. Maybe RE changed manufacturers or something?
You mentioned that you arent worried about shearing. Thats the only thing to worry about a center bolt doing. They arent under any tension load but they are under shear load sometimes. If you arent concerned, Im not. Like I said, Ive never seen an axle setup like that so I dont have anything besides my gut to go on, just like you.

Hope I didn't come across ungrateful. I appreciate your comments. In fact, I was very surprised to see the 7/16" bolt. And hey, have you ever seen the 5.5 springs, maybe they are unique...?

And fyrfytr..I saw your post about the replacement bolts. As you can see in my picture, mine looks nothing like those (the kinds I'm used to seeing). If I were to use 3/8" bolts in these leafs, I'd be asking for a disaster. They'd be way too sloppy.

Yep, something is weird here. Even the leafs had a sticker that said Made in India on them... I wonder where RE gets their springs made?...

Mdub said:
Hope I didn't come across ungrateful. I appreciate your comments. In fact, I was very surprised to see the 7/16" bolt. And hey, have you ever seen the 5.5 springs, maybe they are unique...?

And fyrfytr..I saw your post about the replacement bolts. As you can see in my picture, mine looks nothing like those (the kinds I'm used to seeing). If I were to use 3/8" bolts in these leafs, I'd be asking for a disaster. They'd be way too sloppy.

Yep, something is weird here. Even the leafs had a sticker that said Made in India on them... I wonder where RE gets their springs made?...

Its all good. Admittedly I have never seen 5.5" RE springs, they very well could be made by someone different. The India thing seems suspicious. Seems odd that as many 5.5 springs as they have sold that they would sell a spring with a center bolt that wont fit an XJ spring plate. Its a mystery that I wouldnt mind seeing an answer to also.

Where did you buy the springs?They dont even look like RE's.

My fairly new RE 5.5's use a 3/8 center bolt.
The hole in the hold down plate was large enough to accommodate the nut, but I can't remember if I had drilled it previously. I don't think its tempered steel, A good drill press will do the deed, just use lots of tapping fluid in the drill when going at it.

Mdub, do you have a couple extra leaves in that pack? The 5.5 springs on REs site only shows 6 leaves.

RCP Phx said:
Where did you buy the springs?They dont even look like RE's.

I'm sure now that they are not the springs I was supposed to get from RE. I'm gonna withhold the vendor's name and give them a chance to get it right.

But RE said the bolt SHOULD BE a 3/8" bolt and that the part numbering on my leafs is wrong.

What I hate is having to un-install and install leaf springs twice. It is a pain.

RE has used a larger-than-stock centering bolt for years. I thought it was 3/8" vs stock 5/16", but maybe it was 7/16" vs stock 3/8"....

So is there "wiggle room" under the washer? If not, I don't see the problem. If so, I'm still not sure I see the problem.

My biggest problem with the oversized RE center pins was that they didn't seat fully in the spring perch. So, not realizing they were intentionally oversized, and not thinking clearly enough to drill out the spring perch, we put the bolt in a drill chuck, and hit it with an angle grinder while spinning it! That cleared off a few layers of steel 'til it fit. :doh:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
RE has used a larger-than-stock centering bolt for years. I thought it was 3/8" vs stock 5/16", but maybe it was 7/16" vs stock 3/8"....

So is there "wiggle room" under the washer? If not, I don't see the problem. If so, I'm still not sure I see the problem.

My biggest problem with the oversized RE center pins was that they didn't seat fully in the spring perch. So, not realizing they were intentionally oversized, and not thinking clearly enough to drill out the spring perch, we put the bolt in a drill chuck, and hit it with an angle grinder while spinning it! That cleared off a few layers of steel 'til it fit. :doh:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Remember, I couldn't even use the pin. So I bought a 7/16" hex head bolt, then ground it to fit the perch. But yeah, RE's pin didn't fit the perch hole either. I'm happy with what I ended up with on that end.

I'm not sure what you mean about "wiggle room". There is obviously a .25" gap (the thickness of the plate) under the washer to the top of the top leaf. But like you, I don't see any reason to be concerned... but if you could, explain your wiggle room comment. Thanks.

xjbubba said:
My fairly new RE 5.5's use a 3/8 center bolt.
The hole in the hold down plate was large enough to accommodate the nut, but I can't remember if I had drilled it previously. I don't think its tempered steel, A good drill press will do the deed, just use lots of tapping fluid in the drill when going at it.

This is what I did with mine, just drilled the plate in the drill press, alls good.

Update.

RE Springs ARE MADE IN INDIA...from Horse's mouth.

RE Bolts on 5.5" Leaf Packs ARE TOO BIG for top plate.

RE 5.5" Leaf Packs have 8 leafs (from my local vendor who called them).

So I pretty much decided to keep these...but then this...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=961316

I don't know if that has anything to do with the leafs, but I think it might since my 6.5 rustys didn't do it. I hate these leafs...

Mdub said:
Update.

RE Springs ARE MADE IN INDIA...from Horse's mouth.

RE Bolts on 5.5" Leaf Packs ARE TOO BIG for top plate.

RE 5.5" Leaf Packs have 8 leafs (from my local vendor who called them).

So I pretty much decided to keep these...but then this...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=961316

I don't know if that has anything to do with the leafs, but I think it might since my 6.5 rustys didn't do it. I hate these leafs...
Did you actually talk to someone thats cares(from RE,they can be hard to find),or just take Dave's from Desertfabs word for it? I would talk to someone else like Dirk!
BTW:You really never stated your desired lift height,its usually best made with a combination of springs and shackle(#1462's = 1.25 shackle nets 6" plus lift).

Last edited:
Back