• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balanced thermostat question

buckethead

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a 195 deg balanced thermostat for my 1998 XJ 4.0l. After researching on the wed and this site, the only Part Number I can find is Mr Gasket #4365. That part number is for a 93-95 xj. Will that part number work for my 1998 or do I need a diffrent thermostat. thanks

It should work. Take it to a driveline shop and have them check to see if its balanced once you get it. Will cause severe engine vibrations if your t-stat isn't properly balanced....

:roflmao:

i just used a stant superstat in my stroker, I have never had any vibes.

seriously, a normal t-stat works great, but the Mr Gasket one will work fine as well. It is on the shelf in the performance Aisle at advance auto. Wast of money though, but to each his own

outlander said:
Pardon my ignorance,but what is a balanced thermostat?
i guess im ignorant too.....wtf is a balanced thermostat?

A balanced thermostat should be used with a high flow waterpump like a Flowcooler. If you have a stock pump, a regular T-stat will be fine.

Just 'cause somebody hasn't heard of it doesn't mean it's snake oil.

Nothing wrong with spending an extra $5 for a hi-flow(balanced and reported more accurate opening temp) t-stat. My brother works at advanced and he didn't have any 195* hi-flows(just 180* and 165*) there so he picked me up a regular one. The earlier one should fit yours, but I'd cross ref the standard ones first to make sure they're compatible(they've all looked the same size to me).

Last edited:
kevin s said:
A balanced thermostat should be used with a high flow waterpump like a Flowcooler. If you have a stock pump, a regular T-stat will be fine.

Just 'cause somebody hasn't heard of it doesn't mean it's snake oil.

I have one with my hesco water pump and high flow Tstat housing, I run drastically cooler with the combo.

I've seen those in marine applications, but have never heard the term "balanced" when referring to a t-stat. I didn't see a difference when changing them out with a standard one.

hmmm...learn something new everyday.I'm having a problem with my temps bouncing around lately.I'd be willing to spend the extra few dollars on one of these.....

Honestly guys, you're never going to be able to see a difference between a "high flow thermostat" and a regular thermostat. Increased flow through the cooling system can actually hurt your cooling, not help. The coolant needs to have enough time for the heat to be exchanged. If your rig is overheating, fix it! Its not because your thermostat isn't flowing well enough.

For a stock 4.0, I have had the best luck (by far) with the factory thermostat purchased directly from Jeep.

There isn't too much that I go to the dealership for, but the Jeep stat is a very solid long lasting design. I have had mixed (poor) luck with some aftermarket designs and never once have I had a problem or a temp fluctuation with a factory stat.

An old thread, I know.

The OP is referring to the Mr. Gasket Chinese copy of the old ROBERTSHAW thermostat, easily the best ever made (for general production cars). Been specifying these for more than 30-years on cooling system maintenance/upgrades. You don't have to have a race motor to benefit, but this is the stat that can handle flow/presssure without jamming.

Here's a view from Stewart Racing Thermostat

emp-300_cp_m.jpg

Back