• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header for an '00

ColoradoRaptor

Headbanging Hillbilly
Ok, been lookin around for a header for my '00 and the selection is sparse!! So, my question is this...what will it take to adapt a 96-99 Cherokee header to the '00 or the '00-06 Wrangler header to the '00 Cherokee. I am lookin for specifics on what it would take, as I cannot find any thread here that has specifics. Thanks!!

Pretty sure the problem is the downpipe(s). On our 2000, we have 2 pipes coming off the exhaust manifold - going into those 2 pre-cats. Pretty sure in 1999, it was a "6 to 1" collector - where all 6 pipes come together off of the exhaust manifold. But maybe not. Can't remember exactly.

In wranglers, I think the headpipe travels in a different direction....but not 100% sure.

Banks and JBA are the only ones I know of that make a header for the 2000. Sorry I couldn't give you definite answers...the info on this subject is limited!

The JBA one is cool, b/c you can get it coated. Its just $$$!!!

http://www.rjroffroad.com/jba-cat4ward-headers-for-00-06-jeep-wrangler-cherokee-40l-offroad-c-439-p-1-pr-17014.html

I still haven't decided which ones I like better! I dont know of anyone running the JBA ones.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/221/54

(picture is actually of the one for 91-95 wrangler + headpipe - wish Banks would get off their asses and take other pictures!)

Yeah, the $$$ is why I have been lookin around to see if i could modify a different header! You are right about the JBA, if I were to drop that much coin, it's the one i would pick!!

Sorry dude, looks like we're in the same boat. Gibson, Borla and APN don't make one for our setup....

JNickel101 said:
Pretty sure the problem is the downpipe(s). On our 2000, we have 2 pipes coming off the exhaust manifold - going into those 2 pre-cats. Pretty sure in 1999, it was a "6 to 1" collector - where all 6 pipes come together off of the exhaust manifold. But maybe not. Can't remember exactly.

In wranglers, I think the headpipe travels in a different direction....but not 100% sure.

Banks and JBA are the only ones I know of that make a header for the 2000. Sorry I couldn't give you definite answers...the info on this subject is limited!

The JBA one is cool, b/c you can get it coated. Its just $$$!!!

http://www.rjroffroad.com/jba-cat4ward-headers-for-00-06-jeep-wrangler-cherokee-40l-offroad-c-439-p-1-pr-17014.html

I still haven't decided which ones I like better! I dont know of anyone running the JBA ones.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/221/54

(picture is actually of the one for 91-95 wrangler + headpipe - wish Banks would get off their asses and take other pictures!)
Thanks that's good info! I didn't know ANYONE was making a header compatible with out 4 02 sensor systems........:clap:
I guess when there is nothing to pick from, expensive is alright:dunno:

I was thinkin that someone here has done this modification! Will just have to wait and see if the right person chimes in. Thanks for the info JNickel101!

The Non-CA emission pipes do not have the pre-cats and only have 2 O2 sensors.Its already as close to the perfect header as you can get!

I have yet to see a 00 or 01 without the pre-cats. Anyone have one?

Yeah,me!

you could always get the pacesetter and have a new exhaust pipe made. It will still fit, it would only use 2 02's though. This can be fixed buy surfing ebay and finding some 02 sensor simulators that match the o2 numbers that your truck uses. The sims plug into the same socket as the 02's did.

Pacesetter - 200ish
high flow cat - 65ish
muffler(super turbos sound great) - 50ish
and then either do the work yourself or pay a shop 100bucks to do it and you are done.

You can probably use the stock muffler and tailpipe if you wanted to.

Mine is a '00 sold new in Ohio. It has the pre-cats.

tbburg said:
Mine is a '00 sold new in Ohio. It has the pre-cats.

x2 Mine was sold new in Texass and has the pre-cats. :dunno:

RCP Phx said:
The Non-CA emission pipes do not have the pre-cats and only have 2 O2 sensors.Its already as close to the perfect header as you can get!
My '01 is originally from TN...and has 4 02 sensors and two precats...

Did Jeep change the exhaust manifold mounting bolt arrangement on the 0331 head vs 0630? If not, are the header companies just covering their butts cause it would eliminate the precats if you used one of their headers? Has anyone attempted/accomplished this?

RCP Phx said:

I'd be interested to see if you have a 99.5 - some sort of hybrid 99/00. From your pics, you look to have the old style cat - with the "flange" mount. But I do recall you saying you have a LP D30....

What about your ignition setup - do you have the distributorless ignition w/ the coil pack rail?

gradon said:
Did Jeep change the exhaust manifold mounting bolt arrangement on the 0331 head vs 0630? If not, are the header companies just covering their butts cause it would eliminate the precats if you used one of their headers? Has anyone attempted/accomplished this?

No, the bolt pattern is still the same, I think it has to do with the size of the holes and how they line up. I've seen where people have made "adapters" for the gasket between the head and header....

I'm still looking for the resistors that supposedly just plug in to where the O2 sensors go, and use the MAIN cat. I guess you could weld a bung in ahead of the main cat, and splice the 2 upstream O2 sensor wires together into one sensor ahead of that main cat, then do the same thing with the downstream sensors and just use one behind the main cat.

Hmmm....

:idea:

JNickel101 said:
I'd be interested to see if you have a 99.5 - some sort of hybrid 99/00. From your pics, you look to have the old style cat - with the "flange" mount. But I do recall you saying you have a LP D30....

What about your ignition setup - do you have the distributorless ignition w/ the coil pack rail?
No distributor or wires!

RCP Phx said:
No distributor or wires!

Well now I'm just all kinds of confused - you have the only 00 I've ever seen that doesn't have pre-cats and/or 4 O2 sensors....

Back