• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pacesetter header question

igotanxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my pacesetters today and they have an air injection or egr port I need to plug. I have a 96 so as far as I know, they don't have air injection or egr. Anybody know what size the threads are for the plug and where I can get one?

DSC00150.jpg

An exhaust shop has those ports to install when needed so maybe they have plugs for them also. It should be a standard thread and a good hardware store probably has a plug or a bolt you can grind down short enough to do the job.

I can't remember the exact size, but ace hardware had a brass plug that fit it perfectly.

It's been in almost a year now without a leak.

is it fine or coarse thread? cant really tell from the pic. it looks like either a 3/8 or 1/2 in NPT pipe plug would go there. take the header with you to a *good* auto parts store and ask them for one. brass if you can get it would be best.

WOW, I was kidding

on that note: A guy came into the parts store I used to work at and said that the coolest bit of make do he has ever seen was when a customer came into his shop for an oil change, and had used a carrot shoved into the oil pan to get himself there.

wolfpackjeeper said:
WOW, I was kidding

on that note: A guy came into the parts store I used to work at and said that the coolest bit of make do he has ever seen was when a customer came into his shop for an oil change, and had used a carrot shoved into the oil pan to get himself there.
Innnnteresting. I JB Welded a quarter to the remains of my oil pressure sender when that broke, but I don't know that I would have tried (or recommended) organics like a carrot.

oilsender.jpg

To the original poster - why not just walk the header into the hardware store and see what the threads are? If they can't measure it and tell you, you should still be able to carefully thread plugs in there until you find the right one. Go to a hardware store (Ace, etc) and not a Home Depot...unless you're desperate.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Alright, I've searched far and wide; Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, Car Quest, Advanced Auto, the local speed shop, and nobody has this plug. I called Pace Setter and found out its 7/8 x 18 which is about the weirdest thread ever. I called the exhaust shop nearby and they tell me to talk to some guy that will be in on friday, so I don't know about there yet. I even called a well known bolt manufacturer and asked if they had a short bolt of this thread, no dice. So should I keep calling exhast shops? Just weld it closed? Anybody have any other ideas?

Like I said earlier. I used a brass pipe plug. The threads are different but the header(hard) will cut new threads on the brass plug(soft) and it seals just fine. Been over a year now and it's still sealed up.

MisterFubar said:
Like I said earlier. I used a brass pipe plug. The threads are different but the header(hard) will cut new threads on the brass plug(soft) and it seals just fine. Been over a year now and it's still sealed up.

Gotcha, I thought you meant you found a plug with the exact thread pitch. I suppose the brass plug will have to do, I don't really have many options.

Back