• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expected mileage 4.56 on 33's?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at jeeps and theres a nice one with a 6" lift with 4.56 gears and its on 33s. Could anyone ballpark the mpg for me? Also its a 98, 5spd, 6cyl, 135k miles.

i was thinking the same question. lol. its all bout mpg now. i would expect maybe 16 hwy 13 city..?

I like driving my jeep enough to pay for its gas, but unfortunately I need to drive 400+ miles multiple times a year to get to/from school, so if its gonna be a really bad increase I might have to look at something else. Right now I'm getting about 19/20 highway, and idk about city (my city driving varies from tire spinning to grandma acceleration given on my current mood).

Dest said:
I like driving my jeep enough to pay for its gas, but unfortunately I need to drive 400+ miles multiple times a year to get to/from school, so if its gonna be a really bad increase I might have to look at something else.
3.5" and 32's with 4.10 is good for a daily drver or a 3" and 31's is really good for a daily driver

4.5" 32's 4:56 gears. 12 mpg usually, 14.6 mpg highway (65 mph).

When I first started checking the MPG I was getting 10.5 mpg. That was with a heavy foot and 32's 3:55 gears.

I am at 4.5 w/ 35's and 4.88's. I get 15 - 18 mpg!

4:10's with 33x10.50 BFG MT's and an AX-15 average around 20 on the highway and 15-16 in the city.

i got 4.5 inches, 4.56 gears and 33X12.5" bfg mt's and get about 14mpg highway, and i don't even want to know what i get in the city. i think i'm gonna switch to 35's because then i will be running lower rpm on the highway and should get better mpg.

mitsumotors said:
i got 4.5 inches, 4.56 gears and 33X12.5" bfg mt's and get about 14mpg highway, and i don't even want to know what i get in the city. i think i'm gonna switch to 35's because then i will be running lower rpm on the highway and should get better mpg.
That statement is forgetting the heavier rolling mass of the 35's plus it will raise the jeep in the air increasing the drag coefficient(spelling?) I doubt you will increase you gas mileage, break even at best.

my 88' xj was getting about 15mpg on the highway stock, and then i lifted it and put 31's on with stock gears and i lost a bit of power but was running lower rpm on the highway and was getting like 17mpg highway.. really poor in the city though but i hardly ever drive in the city.

Jeepsloth said:
4:10's with 33x10.50 BFG MT's and an AX-15 average around 20 on the highway and 15-16 in the city.

Yea i got the ax15 and 32 BFG MT but regular 3.07 gears and i get 19 hw (cant really use 5th gear) and 15-16 city if i drive it nicely.

My rig is '87 4.0, AW4, 242, 4.5" lift, 4.56 with Detroits, 33 x 10.5 BFG ATs. I just did a 600 mile trip, mostly highway and got 18 MPG

Dest said:
Would 33s with stock gearing be able to make it on the highway?
"Make it" ?? Sure. Will you be able to use 5th gear or Overdrive as commented a few posts ago? Nope. Regear; I'd recommend 4.56 with an automatic, or maybe 4.10 if you have the 5-speed that started with 3.07s...

How many of y'all who are reporting abnormally high numbers have taken the gearing and/or tire size into effect? Don't forget you've got to change the speedometer gear...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I am going to be doing a gear change soon. I'm at 4.5 with 32's and 3.55's and will be going either 4.10/4.11's or 4.56's. My question is to every one that has and will respond to this thread is Are these mileages that you list with the correct speedo gear installed for the size tires and the gears that you are running?

magimerlin said:
I am going to be doing a gear change soon. I'm at 4.5 with 32's and 3.55's and will be going either 4.10/4.11's or 4.56's. My question is to every one that has and will respond to this thread is Are these mileages that you list with the correct speedo gear installed for the size tires and the gears that you are running?

I had a new gear for my 32" tires and 3:55 gears. When we installed the 4:56 gears, I installed a new gear for 32" and 4:56 gears.

I never checked my mpg with an uncorrected speedometer.

10.5 32" 3:55 mixed driving
12.0 32" 3:55 mixed driving easy acceleration
13.5 32" 4:56 mixed driving easy acceleration
14.6 32: 4:56 highway 65 miles per hour max

From what I have read here, I should be able to increase my mileage by 3 mpg, I just need to find the issue.

I run 33x12.5 with an auto and 3.55 with 6.5" lift and never get over 60mph, I'm gettin 12 to 16 on the hwy. My question is what does the regeared speedo have to do with fuel economy, watch the tach. We must also take into account that winches, bumpers, tools, ect...they add alot to the issue. I have a winch and arb bumper, carry a jack and tools, and sometimes a fullsized spare. I will try to put it in perspective (my warped perspective) I see people complain about the high cost of fuel, as they carry a soft drink from the store (coke, pepsi, ect...) Take into consideration that a 12 oz. drink is about $1.50, do you see where I'm headed? What do you enjoy more your XJ or a soft drink? If you find a ride you enjoy, make some changes, and go. Remember, I don't go for a drive, I go for an adventure.

Last edited:
Back