• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toasted drivers side bearing(8.25)

no...why?
The bearing is definately bad and the seal is leaking because of it.I had the wheel off of that side and the axle shaft moves axially a fair bit.
Damn it!!!!I knew my $20 ebay 8.25 was too good to be true.....naw I'm kidding it was still a good deal.

A press is needed for this job....right?

ROBZ95XJ:Thanks I'll look into that.....I looked at their site online and the cheapest I found was like $40.I'll go there later today.

Last edited:
The FSM says to use a slide hammer and a special adapter to remove the bearing from the tube. For the seal you should be alright with just a big screwdriver. Installing I would think would work with a large socket but feel free to correct. Haven't done this yet but the time is coming so I'd be interested to see how you do it.

outlander said:
no...why?
The bearing is definately bad and the seal is leaking because of it.I had the wheel off of that side and the axle shaft moves axially a fair bit.
Damn it!!!!I knew my $20 ebay 8.25 was too good to be true.....naw I'm kidding it was still a good deal.

A press is needed for this job....right?

ROBZ95XJ:Thanks I'll look into that.....I looked at their site online and the cheapest I found was like $40.I'll go there later today.
if you dont have it you will need to rent slide hammer from autozone, it should come with 3 jaw attchment hears, link i used on how to replacement
http://www.dippy.org/svcman/sm03a.html

outlander said:
I had the wheel off of that side and the axle shaft moves axially a fair bit.

Some in-out play is normal for a c-clip axle. Side-side (radial play) would be more of a concern. If you're leaking gear oil, I would definitely pull the axle and have a look. At that point you might as well replace the bearings and seals on both side. One concern with this axle and the D35 c-clip axle is that a bad wheel bearing can tear up the axle shaft itself.

Back