• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I removed all the hitch bolts...now what?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
My hitch is stuck in place even after I removed all of the bolts that hold it on and smacked it at every angle several times with a BFH...

What's the trick to remove it? Should I just hook it up with a tow strap to my van and start driving away?

Only reason why I havent tried just driving away yet is because I'm afraid the hitch will smack my exhaust.

Thanks.

EDIT: Wow...I just found out there is a plate on the hitch connecting to the body/frame, how the hell do I get the bolts out? Their tucked between the gas tank and body.

Last edited:
Put two bolts back into the hitch to support it and spray some WD-40 or Knock er Loose in the seam between the "frame" and hitch. It may help get some of all the dust and rust that has built up in there disapear so you can pull it off.---> Nevermind after above edit.

Last edited:
57122856pa0.gif

How do I get this plate off? It's connected still...and I can't possibly reach any tool up to get it.

Unforunately, that is what I'm worried about...

I have never done that before, and I'm scared to try. A half a tank of gas and a 17 year old kid dont mix.

I got my hitch from the junkyard, those are Torx, or star bolts. I put the star attachment on it, then used an ENDwrench to turn the Torx wrench. Not fast or fun, but the tank stayed where it was!

ok its not that bad once you drain the tank and get the help of a friend. i have done it twice now and its just a little time consuming. you may just try lowering it a little and see if it opens the area you need to get to a little easier. BUT BE CAREFUL with the wiring for the fuel pump. when you disconnect the wiring harness clip the ground wire is still attached to the tank for a good ground make sure you dont break that wire. I did it once and regrounding it was a pain.

Skwerly said:
I got my hitch from the junkyard, those are Torx, or star bolts. I put the star attachment on it, then used an ENDwrench to turn the Torx wrench. Not fast or fun, but the tank stayed where it was!

Are the end nuts welded to the plate? Or do I need to hold the nut...

I torched those bastards off, with the bumper removed I think you can get a cutoff wheel or a sawsall on them easy enough!

Yeah well I intend on keeping the hitch...
I'm just putting a gas tank skid on.

What the trick to remove the rear bumper? I can't figure out what bolts it would be.

This is turning out to be a pain in the arse. So just for the heck of it I called 4wheelparts to see what it would cost to have them do it and I was quoted $180...screw that, that's 7times what I paid for the skid!

I desided to put back the important bolts (exhaust hanger and one drivers side hitch bolt) and just drive it as is until I can afford some tools that will fit in the cramped spots (90degree angled torque wrench for starters) or until I have more time to take the bumper and crap off too.

:doh: EDIT; Please see note at the end!
I feel your pain.

I installed a hitch off a '99 and re-installed the factory skid on my '89 last night.

Some sugestions. It's easier with the bumper off (my bumper mounts were nearly rusted off so they had to go).
A swivel head, fine tooth rachet and 15mm socket will remove / replace the upper bumper bolts from under car with the hitch installed. Loosen the TORX bolts, then remove the upper bolts. Leave the bumper mounts bolted to the body.

Now you can drill out the nuts of the "L" shaped "plate bracket" and drop the hitch straight down.

F.W.I.W. the 1999 hitch DOES NOT HAVE the up right plate that yours has, but the hitch on my '96 does. You could cut the plate off, it might be there to keep the hitch from going into the gas tank.

Test fit the skid and tank on the ground and bend to fit if necessary.

The two rearmost bolts on each side will hold the hitch in place without interfering with the skid, put them in first.

Watch for clearance between the exhaust hanger and the springs.

If you want to use the trim piece between the body and bumper, install the lower bolts loosely. From the top you can start the upper bolts, get them started, install the trim, tighten everything up.

Such a good write up! I just did a "reality check".

Why are you removing the HITCH??

The SKID goes UNDER the hitch!

Remove two exhaust bolts and clamp for clearance, remove forward two hitch bolts on the other side.
Lift and slide in the skid from the rear, hold in place.
Re-install exhaust hanger, re-install the two bolts on the other side.
You're DONE!

Well PhotographyMike,

I have heard that the skid is better on top of (or under, however you want to look at it) the hitch. To me it makes no sence to have the skid under (or on top) the hitch considering it would have metal plates covering up 2 bolts, so it wouldnt close all the way...not to mention it wouldnt be held on that well if you only use the 2 bolts on easy side of the skid.

perhaps I am wrong, but it seems putting the skid between the tank and hitch is a better option. Although, at this rate the better option, and do-able option are far apart...and I may just bolt her up bellow the hitch.

Muddy Beast said:
Well PhotographyMike,

I have heard that the skid is better on top of (or under, however you want to look at it) the hitch. To me it makes no sence to have the skid under (or on top) the hitch considering it would have metal plates covering up 2 bolts, so it wouldnt close all the way...not to mention it wouldnt be held on that well if you only use the 2 bolts on easy side of the skid.

perhaps I am wrong, but it seems putting the skid between the tank and hitch is a better option. Although, at this rate the better option, and do-able option are far apart...and I may just bolt her up bellow the hitch.

The skid is held on by 2 bolts on either side.

It is not subjected to a pulling force like the hitch but only a down force when the weight of the XJ is on it and it (the skid) in ona rock or other hard object.

Perform a test fit of the gas tank skid and the hitch. Most hitches are sized to fit over the skid plate. My 2000 has the skid closest to the tank and then the hitch below the skid.

Removing the bumper is easier than removing the gas tank.

Well my trick is the only way I can get the skid on it be removing the hitch, because my exhaust was welded to the mounting in the rear, and I have to "slide" the hitch in...

Blah I suppose I'll try removing the bumper.

Back