• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do i remove the oil filter attachment?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
need to replace my motor mounts and the oil filter connector deal is in the way of the bolts trajectory. how do i get this thing off? 89' 4.0L

Last edited:
Search "oil filter adapter" and for oil filter adapter rings replacement topics. There should be a bunch of info to wade through. You'll have to find the posts concerning your model year to narrow down what combo of tools will work. Mine happened to require one of the odd large hex sockets, knocked out it's socket and pressed in to the end of a box wrench but I'm sure yours will be different due to the year. Might as well replace the rings while your at it.

Its eithe ra 9/16 allen wrench. (Ace hardware sell them) or a bolt.

FordGuy said:
Is it not a big ass torx? I think I had found on at Kragen.

How about answering your phone? Or are you screening? :)

Later years were a torx, starting in maybe 95-96 or so. Earlier years was an allen or a bolt.

Hit the dealer and get a set of new o-rings and replace them while you've got it off. It's a common place to leak oil. I found the large o-ring is an odd thickness and an off the shelf o-ring was just a hair too thin to seal well.

tonexj said:
okay and where is the torx located at? i cant seem to see it on my part either

It's on the head of the big hollow bolt that holds the filter adaptor to the block

There's only one, and it's BIG. Like stated above, make sure you go to the dealer and get the new o-ring set. It's 3 o-rings that replace the old smashed ones, and costs all of like $2.00.

Back