• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse lights/NSS Problem

jakecj7

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm experiencing the dreaded NSS problem. I'd tried to pull it off to clean it and ended up breaking it in the process. I got it back in and the jeep will start but I still don't have any reverse lights. Which i need since the inspection is due.

I've searched and have found ways to deal with it, but I thought I'd try something a little different.

What I was thinking of doing is to splice into the reverse light wires coming from the NSS harness and wiring a switch in to control the reverse lights. It seems like I can get the new switch to just take place of the NSS switch. I don't want to bypass the entire NSS switch, just the reverse lights.

Any thoughts? Anyone do this before?

How exactly did you end up breaking it?
Trying to get it off the selector shaft?

Better off making a J/Y run and grab two. (You-Pull-It...they are real cheap.)
Rebuild one out of the two.
ALOT less work in the long run AND will pass the dreaded inspection.

Do a Google search :eyes: for NSS rebuild...there are lots of sites that show tons of tricks to getting them buggers out...in one piece

Did lots of research before I tackled my FIRST one.:paperwork

Howler_GT

I have done some research, but it's not as easy as they make it sound at least not on mine. Well to start with two of the ears of the collet that grips the shaft broke off and then I ended up stripping out 4 of the 6 screws on the back of the case trying to split it apart.

Back