• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Taurus fan swap

casper4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, names Alonzo and I drive a zj, there i said it haha. I know this is a XJ forum but a lot of you guys are local and know a lot about jeeps. Next weekend i am going to pismo and really need to work on the jeeps cooling problem.

Today i took it out in a local creek and had to stop in the creek because my jeep started to get hot, i openned up the hood and in the coolant tank, it was bubbling over the cap... I have never seen the jeep get this bad and its starting to scare me before this pismo trip.

So i have been looking up on some upgrades and hear this ford taurus fan should be a great swap for my stock fan. BUT when it comes to electrical stuff i am as stupid as a 5th grader, it just isn;t my talents i guess you can say. So i was wondering if i got all of the equipment needed for the swap can someone help me out with putting the fan in before thursday? I live in camarillo.

Thanks,
Alonzo

Alonzo

Welcome

If you post this in the "modified tech" forum you will get a better response.

Truthfully it isnt exactly a quick swap. It would take about a whole day, having all the parts and tools ready to go.

By just adding a Turas fan, your only adding a band-aid fix to your cooling system. Apparently, there is something wrong with your cooling system...

Before going to a Turas fan i would recomend:

Complete coolant flush (Make sure the radiator is not clogged or you might ned a new rad altogether)
Put in a new thermostat (195*)
New coolant
Make sure your hoses are good.

If youd really like to, you can also wire your stock e-fan to a switch so you have the ability to control when its on and off rather then a temp switch. Ive had my rig wired like this for a while and it will easily bring my temps down if my Jeep starts to get a little hot.

Hope this helps.

If you have some money to spend you would be better off getting a two 10" or two 12" fan setup by a high quality manufacturer (not Hayden or any parts store brand) and installing it. Honestly the Taurus fan is a PITA to install. It works real well but what a PITA. Look for fans that move at least 1000 CFM each. Frankly, you best cooling will come from the properly functioning stock setup. I switched because I couldn't stand the noise.

Chow said:
I was told, and I still might be wrong, but the SHO Taurus cooling fans pull more CFM's
Yeah, the Taurus fans pull the most air of any electric setup I have seen. You're welcome to take a look at mine, that will give you an idea how much work it is to install one.

I don't have much advise for the over heating, but I'm in Camarillo too. Do you have any pics of your zj? Wondering if I've seen you around town. And I'm curious where you went into the riverbed... by Upland Rd?

casper4x4 said:
Hey guys, names Alonzo and I drive a zj, there i said it haha. I know this is a XJ forum but a lot of you guys are local and know a lot about jeeps. Next weekend i am going to pismo and really need to work on the jeeps cooling problem.

Today i took it out in a local creek and had to stop in the creek because my jeep started to get hot, i openned up the hood and in the coolant tank, it was bubbling over the cap... I have never seen the jeep get this bad and its starting to scare me before this pismo trip.

So i have been looking up on some upgrades and hear this ford taurus fan should be a great swap for my stock fan. BUT when it comes to electrical stuff i am as stupid as a 5th grader, it just isn;t my talents i guess you can say. So i was wondering if i got all of the equipment needed for the swap can someone help me out with putting the fan in before thursday? I live in camarillo.

Thanks,
Alonzo

Have you looked into putting in a stock zj 5.9 electric fan?
I don't have first hand expericnec with this, just a thought.

Back