• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUSS fuses=meltdown?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that the 30amp fuse that protects one of my electric fans was melted so bad that one of the blades is missing.The thing is that I hooked up a multimeter and it has continuity!!!
The only thing that stopped my rig from :flame: to the ground is the blade that burnt off.
Anyone else experience this?

Good find. A burnt XJ is not a good XJ. How many amps does your fan draw on start up and during running? It sounds like the fuse is not the correct amperage for the fan(s). Just an idea.

outlander said:
I noticed that the 30amp fuse that protects one of my electric fans was melted so bad that one of the blades is missing.The thing is that I hooked up a multimeter and it has continuity!!!
The only thing that stopped my rig from :flame: to the ground is the blade that burnt off.
Anyone else experience this?

A number of early 5spd equipped XJs experience electrical problems due to the clutch MC leaking on the Fuse Block. The fuses literally melt. When Chrysler moved the MC to the pass side kick panel, they got rid of that "feature".

Do you have a manual?

yea and I've been there and done that so I know what you're saying.
This fuse is under the hood.I have custom dual electric fans......each one protected by a separate fuse close to the batt.

I always thought that when a fuses amperage is exceded the center part of the fuse burns out...not this one.
The only thing that kept my xj from burning down was the fact that one of the blades burnt clean off causing the circuit to break.The center part of the fuse is still intact!

What has me scratching my head is I have had these fans for almost two years...why would the fuse decide to meltdown now?
That explains that slight electrical smell I noticed the other day....next time I smell that smell I am pulling over and checking things out(fire extinguisher in hand)

Hmmm that's really weird. Sounds kind of like my relay experience. I had a relay go bad and it caught my undercoating on fire. Literally. Even after having a fuse on the constant 12v and the accessory lead coming off...

outlander said:
probably.....anyone have any idea how many amps a procomp 14" fan pulls?

If it's the 2053S they sell Ebay, it should be about 12A, although startup might be higher. I use a VSC with a ramp-up start on mine, and don't have a DMM that will read over 10A, so I can't say with any certainty.

What gauge of wire are you powering the fans with? How long are the power and ground wires? How do you have them connected?

Id say your terminal was"loose",that generates Heat!

You can still have a short that pulls a lot of current and generates a lot of heat, but still be under the fuse limit. Pulling 25 amps at 12-volts for example, which would read as continuity on most meters given that's 0.5 ohms.

14ga wires....short run.Separate 40amp relays....

I re-wired them today and let the fans run for about 5mins without any heat from the wiring.After I shut them down I did notice that one fan(12" puller) was hotter than the other one(14" pusher)....Oh and how normal is it for a relay to get warm to the touch?Both of the 40amp relays were pretty warm to the touch after the fans ran for 5min.....

Thanks for the ideas,everything seems to be well now.The way the fuse was melted I expected to see a major short in one of the wires but everything checks out fine(shrugs shoulders)

Last edited:
Hmmm weird. I've never had any of my relays get hot (except the one that caught flame). Especially a 40amp. And I've had my 2 hellas on just about all night wheeling without any warmth at all. This is also in partially sealed box with 5 other relays...

Yea I've been keeping a close eye on things.....
Never heard of a relay getting hot either.Cant be the wire size because I feel good about the 12ga I used.(from batt to relays)

Back