• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto + 3.07's?? Possible?

jeppo

NAXJA Forum User
I have A 94 with the 4.0/Auto and after looking through a few posts about regearing, i used a rpm calc. and It says my gearing is 3.07. It had 215/75r15 on it stock and when i'm on the hiway, it runs about 2200 at 60mph in 3, when i put it into od, it drops to about 1850. is it possible my xj could've come with 3.07s?? its an ex -fleet vehichle if that makes a difference can anyone tell me what revs their xjs run @ 60?

Last edited:
Yeah I have a 93 HO auto and I have had it checked and have 3.55 gearing, I also run below 2000 rpms at highway speeds, I used to joke with my buddies that I couldn't get her to get over 2000! My buddys 94 pathfinder would scream at 3500 rpms travelling at 70 mph but mine would be at around 2200 at the same speed. Nothing to worry about, although according to everyone here you want lower gears, but at highway speeds 3.55's are ideal!

Your 1994XJ/4.0/AW4 should have 3.55:1 gearing - that's how they all left the factory. You may want to check your differentials for a small metal tag that's held down by the cover screws - it will be about 1" x 4" or so. It should read something like (I'm looking at the tag for my 1989 D35, but yours should be similar...)

"53005045
3.55 610322-7"

The first part of the second line is what you're interested in - it's the gear ratio. In this case, it's 3.55, since it's off of a 1989XJ/4.0/AW4. 3.55's were standard gears for the AW4.

As far as streetability, the 3.55's complement the AW4 far better than the 3.07's do the BA-10/AX-15, I still don't know why they were used. Going to a slightly larger tyre will help also - my DD's run on 30's, and touch 20mpg (and this is on trucks that are 17 years old!)

While you're down there, note well if you have a tag that sez something to the effect of "Use Limited Slip Diff Lube Only" - it means you have LSD, and will need to add friction modifier to the gear oil in order to prevent clutch chatter and make the thing work. If you aren't sure, it's not going to harm anything if you add LSD/FM anyhow, but if you have LSD and don't add FM, you'll get chatter, and eventually need to rebuilt your differential. I've heard that GL-5 spec gear oil already has FM added, but I'm not sure, and add it anyhow (I've also got a couple with Trac-Loc LSD...)

5-90

yeah, the back had part of a tag left, though it was hard to tell that it said 35 or 3S couldnt understand why it was on there since i had the 8.25. thnx btw, love the av tk

Back