• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10 tires on stock rims and center caps

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
I've just picked up a stock 2000 xj which has steel rims and silver center caps.

I'm planning on adding a 3.5" lift and 31" tires as that seems to be the most you can do without major modifications and I'd like to keep it fairly cheap as this is my first offroad project truck.

It looks like I can just keep these rims and later have the larger tires added to them, is that going to work well for trail use without rubbing? With 31x10 inch tires?

I'm not completely opposed to buying different steel rims but I'm a bit of a nub so I wouldn't know what brands/models are any good for offroad use.

Also anyone have a source for new silver center caps with the black center circle logo?

well, if you end up getting steel wheels. they are all madeby the same company so its doesnt matter which ones you get. rather its union, american racing, procomp or crager. id go with crager just because they are the cheapest ive found since i bought my procomp wheels

31's will rub with 3.5" of lift......and rip off your bumper covers
PB040265-1.jpg

They will rub the front caps when the suspension compresses as well. Mine rubbed with 4.5". There will also be minimal rubbing of your LCA @ full lock.

Thanks for the tips, I had found a chart listing the various lift's and wheel sizes but apparently it was completely wrong. I'm going to stick with the stock wheel sizes for the next year till I get a better idea of what I really need around NC.

winkosmosis said:
The only rub points are the LCAs and bumper endcaps on compression? What about the flares?
Tire knocked a rear one off on the trail one time.

Here's mine yesterday at full stuff. I trimmed about an inch and a half using the cut and fold method. It was hitting just a little in the pic at the top of the wheelwell, but I don't have a bumpstop on that side, it's on it's way.

I also don't hit my LCA's at full lock, but I have 4inch backspacing.

Back