• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slave cylinder 88MJ vs 01XJ:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have an 88MJ with AX-5. With my diesel swap I am using an NV3550 I just picked up.

three questions:
Does my AX-5 have that bastard internal throwout bearing/slave cyl?

Looking at the parts fiche it looks like the master cyl/lines/slave are all one unit on the 00+ XJ and TJ. Do they seperate or are they all one peice?

The part numbers for the slave/master between the XJ and TJ are sligtly different, yet when searching for used slave/master cyls from XJs TJ parts show up. Will the TJ master/lines/slave interchange with the XJ?

I'm fairly sure the 88 will be an internal slave. If you really have an AX5, that's a 4-cyl and I'm not sure the NV3550 will bolt up, btw. - Duh just noticed that you're swapping in a diesel.

The later external units are sold as a prefilled master/line/slave combo. I believe you can push out a roll pin and seperate the line from the ends if you need to replace it. Definitely won't screw into your existing slave though.

lawsoncl said:
I'm fairly sure the 88 will be an internal slave. If you really have an AX5, that's a 4-cyl and I'm not sure the NV3550 will bolt up, btw. - Duh just noticed that you're swapping in a diesel.

The later external units are sold as a prefilled master/line/slave combo. I believe you can push out a roll pin and seperate the line from the ends if you need to replace it. Definitely won't screw into your existing slave though.

Yup, 4cyl, ax-5.

Anyways, picked this up today, got it along with a 97+ guage cluster, a tinted rear door glass, the trip computer out of an XJ(hehe, ya thats a rare one), a window switch unit(maybe one that works 100%?) and a wood grain center bezel(which I dont really care for, but figured, heck why not?) all for $26. - Much better than the $180 it would have cost for a new one from the dealer.
MJ69.jpg

MJ72.jpg

87 4.0 I went with the internal slave when I installed my nv3550 but I recently changed to external and I used my master cylinder and some brake line to connect to the slave. I did have to o ring the line into the slave but it hasnt leaked since and to bleed it I just pumped it and made sure it was full of fluid. Also, I used silicon brake fluid and Im very happy with it.

As far as I remember, the ax-5 only ever came with an external slave. The t-4/t-5 was the only tranny mounted to the 4-cylinder to have an internal slave. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am...

Ah, can't wait to see how this works out for you!

Will that center bezel even fit into the MJ? or is it for an XJ or something?

Mr_Random said:
As far as I remember, the ax-5 only ever came with an external slave. The t-4/t-5 was the only tranny mounted to the 4-cylinder to have an internal slave. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am...

Ah, can't wait to see how this works out for you!

Will that center bezel even fit into the MJ? or is it for an XJ or something?

In addition to my diesel swap I am also installing the interior out of a 01 XJ:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955062

Back