• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost install

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
I’m looking to add some height to my jeep and would like to use a coil spacer/shackle budget boost. I’m leaning toward this purchasing this kit and was wondering if there was a write up on installing something like this posted anywhere. I have searched for budge boost install threads and haven’t found anything. Just wondering if someone can help me out.

Thanks,
Ecgtech

Its really not too bad. However, keep in mind that the rear of your Jeep will most likely sit a little lower than the front. (typical of BB shackles). For the front, you have to unbolt the shocks, trackbar and jack it up enough to get the springs out. With my Brother helping me, it took me about 4-5 hours working at a moderate pace. The rear is pretty much self explantory, its just unbolting one and b0lting in the new shackles.

I'm going to be doing this soon and my outstanding question is with the front bumpstops... I believe the coil spacers go in above these, but what's holding these in place? I think I read somewhere you need a plumbers wrench to twist the whole thing out. Otherplaces make it sound like theres a bolt that you get at from under the hood to pull the bumpstops.
Can anyone who's done this chime in? I've got a 92...

anotherskait said:
I'm going to be doing this soon and my outstanding question is with the front bumpstops... I believe the coil spacers go in above these, but what's holding these in place? I think I read somewhere you need a plumbers wrench to twist the whole thing out. Otherplaces make it sound like theres a bolt that you get at from under the hood to pull the bumpstops.
Can anyone who's done this chime in? I've got a 92...

You won't need to take the stock BS's off to install spacers. I just used extra coil spring isolators for spacers (at about 5 bucks per isolator). I added three per side to the original isolator. Also....I did not need to unbolt my trackbar using coil spring compressors (which can be rented/burrowed from some auto parts stores). But, you will need to disconnect your sway bar, so this would be a good time to add quick disconnects if you don't already have them. I am happy with my JKS discos.

Last edited:
Rod Knee said:
You won't need to take the stock BS's off to install spacers. I just used extra coil spring isolators for spacers (at about 5 bucks per isolator). I added three per side to the original isolator. Also....I did not need to unbolt my trackbar using coil spring compressors (which can be rented/burrowed from some auto parts stores). But, you will need to disconnect your sway bar, so this would be a good time to add quick disconnects if you don't already have them. I am happy with my JKS discos.

The way I was thinking about it - The spacers would do under the bump stops so that the BS's would still be useful. If I put the spacers over/around the BS, wouldn't that make them essentially useless?

x2 on JKS disco's

Spacers...donut shaped things, right? Just slide them up on the bumpstop post as far as they will go. Look at where your OEM isolator is.

You're not confusing spacers with bumpstop adjustment devices (such as hockey pucks) are you?

The spacer goes on the tower with the stock isolator in place:
spacer.jpg

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

A photo's worth a thousand words.
Thanks Yucca x1,000

In your link you posted you disco the rear U-bolts. That is only because you're adding a leaf and does not need to be done for shackle lift only... correct? Or would taking this step make it significantly easier to get everything lined up once the new shackle is on?

Last edited:
anotherskait said:
A photo's worth a thousand words.
Thanks Yucca x1,000

In your link you posted you disco the rear U-bolts. That is only because you're adding a leaf and does not need to be done for shackle lift only... correct?
Correct.
No need to do that to replace the shackle.

Yucca-Man said:
The spacer goes on the tower with the stock isolator in place:
spacer.jpg

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

but MOST bb lift instructions state that the stock isolator should go between the new spacer and the coil like this...

IMG_9860.jpg

i'm not sure if they think the stock isolator is more resistant to tearing or why, but that's what they say :dunno:

My BB didn;t come with any install instructions, hence the questions here. I like what you're saying Fitch.. think I'll do it that way. If nothing else putting the stock isolator below the budget boost may help cut down on noise and squeaks, etc.

Either way is fine. I have mine on like Yucca Man's picture. And there's no noise or squeaks.

Another reason why I believe they tell you to put the stock isolator touching the coil is because the SI has an indentation, if you will, for the coil spring to sit up in it straight. I think the Rocky Road, Rough Country, and the lower-ish end guys don't have that, it's a flat surface which can cause the coil to arch incorrectly and not be straight. I know Teraflex and Daystar have this groove thingy for the coils to sit in.

Interesting point. Mine was a Rubicon Express install, and the spacer has a concave side that fit against the stock isolator. There's a convex extension that matches it, giving the coil spring somewhere to seat. A flat side on the otherwise round spacer fits in next to the body and keeps the spacer from moving.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back