• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaking belt

kyfreeride04

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with 126,xxx miles on it and the serpentine belt on it has a low squeak coming from the side with the altenator and a/c compressor. It doesn't have anything to do with the rpm's raising because it stays consistant, but it with sometimes stop after a couple minutes and then start again. Another factor is that when i first start the car and turn the a/c on, i get a very load screching noise and increases when i give it gas, but after it runs for a minute it will stop. So it could have something to do with the a/c compressor possibly. But another thing is that i have a 15" sub with a pretty big amp hooked up and when it hits a big bass note it shuts down the radio and resets it. So maybe it's an alternator problem, or maybe both. Any insight on the squeaking belt would be great.

about the belt, maybe the belt is going out or it is not as tight as it used to be....try adjusting it on the PS pump pulley, as for the sub....buy a capacitor, that should solve ur problem

First time my belt started squealing was due to a bad idler pulley, the bearing seized up a few weeks later and shot the damn thing out of the Jeep. Second time it started squealing was a bad harmonic balancer. Check those out.

Back