• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New BFG Mud KM2 Mud Terrain Durability

asp

NAXJA Forum User
I know that the older style has a weak sidewall. I own a set of 31 BFG Muds (TA-K/O) and love how the tread performs, but i have several sidewall chunks missing from rocks and whatnot. I'm looking into going bigger and I like the tread pattern of the new design, but I wonder about its durability. They have been out for a little while and I'm interested to see if anyone has run them or seen them in action and if so, do they seem much stronger? They're way more expensive, so they better be more durable...

For reference, these are the new ones I'm talking about.
images.ashx

Limited in sizes, but a great tire. One that you will see a lot now in crawling competions. We have some customers running them on the street with F-150's, they are getting good wear so far.

i noticed that there were limited sizes. is there any anticipation of more sizes being made?

They released the 17" sizes and other rediculously large wheel sizes this year, and then next year (or maybe it's coming up at the end of this year), but one year from that date they're releasing 15 and 16" sizes.

I've never seen an un-mounted one or seen one with zero air in it, but BFG doesn't have a good reputation for putting thick sidewalls on tires....

They have a 33" (305/65 17) that most people dont know about, from what I was told it was a Military spec tire and is a E rated 10 ply killer tire, they say the sidewall is even better than the Toyo! but still flexes. They also have a 315/75/16 " D rated.

Last edited:
FordGuy said:
They have a 33" (305/65 17) that most people dont know about, from what I was told it was a Military spec tire and is a E rated 10 ply killer tire, they say the sidewall is even better than the Toyo! but still flexes. They also have a 315/75/16 " D rated.

iiiinteresting. would i have to sacrifice my left nut to get a set?

mjma said:
They released the 17" sizes and other rediculously large wheel sizes this year, and then next year (or maybe it's coming up at the end of this year), but one year from that date they're releasing 15 and 16" sizes.

I've never seen an un-mounted one or seen one with zero air in it, but BFG doesn't have a good reputation for putting thick sidewalls on tires....

cool.

i've also never seen an unmounted one. i saw a mounted set of 37's that looked pretty good, but that doesn't tell me anything about how strong it is. they were brand spanking new too. hadn't even seen the parking lot.

FordGuy said:
Dealer Cost is:
305/65/17 $254.69
315/75/16 $239.11

oof... that hurts my wallet and i haven't even bought them.

They are about the same as the Toyos, which are awesome. A lot of guy's don't realize how much better some of the new tire technology is. MTR's are a great example, great tire 8+ years ago, but they are very old technology. Goodyear will wear that mold and casing design out.

I saw a set of the 35x12.50x17 or 18(cant remember) mounted on a new JK. They look really nice! Its basically the same tread pattern as the KM with more cuts in the tread blocks like the krawlers. Hopefully the new KM2's will be as good as the KM's. I love my BFG mt's... I have about 20k miles on them with only about 4/32"s tread wear.

I know there not the strongest tire out there, but for a DD/weekend wheeler, you cant beat the BFG.

xjchris98 said:
I know there not the strongest tire out there, but for a DD/weekend wheeler, you cant beat the BFG.

that's how i use mine.

hmm maybe i'll wait till the price comes down some and used sets start showing up.

i'm torn between a set of AT's for the road and a set of TSL's or LTB's for the trail.

FordGuy said:
How many would you like ??? 50, 100 I get them all day long.

too bad they're for the shop i'm guessing you work at :tear: and not me.

Back