• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?'s about a 1998 xj

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking at a 98 xj today really solid jeep couldnt see much wrong with it. then i got a list of what it needs from buddy and it was qutie a bit. rear main oil seal is leaking is this a big/expensive job to fix? also needs an axle seal in the front and the rear pinion/yolk is leaking how big a job for these? needs a left hub/wheel bearing ,rear brakes,oil pan i have new hubs and brakes,oil pan all this stuff stuff on older xj's will this stuff fit the 98 my parts rigs are 89 and 93?

I pretty much need all that stuff on my 98 XJ, yet it is still solid as a rock minus the oil pan and rear main. Add in a leak trans pan and a suspension bushing somewhere. That's what you get with an old XJ. That's part of the fun. Buy it.

well i do have to say BUY IT not sure if the hub will fit due to splines maybe sorry if im wrong rear brakes are a pain but easy if you know how to do it rear main same big pain but easy if you know how to do it. axle seal it hard you will need an extension. anything im missing?

the only things i was worried about were the rear main oil seal and axle seal both things i've never done. he brought it into a dealer for mvi and this is stuff they told him. if they are only leaking how long could it be driven before they would have to be replaced? will the newer oil pan of my 93 fit this?

Leaks everywhere of a 98 is a give a way to me of hard offing. In the long run you maybe paying for someone else fun. Fine if you intend to do a lot of mods replacing everything. For a sound DD. I would look else were.

actually the truck has never been offroad the guy owned it since new and only used 4x4 for snow in the winter. the underneth has to be one of the cleanest i've seen he drove it about 100 km's or more each way to work everyday only reason he didnt fix it is wanted a car easier on gas

Make sure the AC works,that was a bad year for evaporators,and its a high dollar fix.93 stuff will work on the 98,the rear axles may be different D35 or 8.25.

Wayne

not to worried about the ac cause i dont have it now on my old jeep but would be nice to have lol. yeah the rearends are different. called around cheapest i could find was $350 to replace the rear main,never changed one before but might be time to learn. doesnt look to hard from what i found on the net.

Back